 Marketplace / Appraisal / 673
Re: How to insure your Lego collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Wade wrote:
Greetings everyone. I hope I've posted in the right places for this query, and
if not, I apologize.

I'm in the process of moving to a new residence, and seriously began to consider
renters insurance. I can come up with figures for my TV, computer, Doctor Who
book collection, etc, but I was wondering what others might consider to be the
best way to judge the value of your collection of legs?

(for refernce, I've been collecting since 1981 or 82, and have no idea exactly
all the sets I might own).

Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

Thanks
Timothy Wade

Yep.  Wait until the first ~$30 000 (or more) claim, and then weep when the
insurance company refuses to pay up.

I don't _know_ of anyone loosing a entire collection yet.  What I do for
insurance purposes is that I have a reasonably regularly updated list of the
sets I own which is on a outside computer (Yahoo website).  I figure I would
loose $10 000 or more if my house burned above what I have listed, but that
there is no easy way to keep track of such things as bricklink purchases, and
other off line lego trades I have taken part in.

As far as valuation- I don't know how they would value it.  it's supposed to be
replacement cost (at least my insurance), but how do you prove what the
replacement cost is for a set?

James