 Local / United States / Wisconsin / * (-20)
Subject:
Leaning Tower of Pisa made out of LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 12:51:20 GMT

Architectural Engineering Students Build the Leaning Tower of Pisa

On Wednesday morning, a group of ten engineering students from MSOE put the finishing touches on a five-foot-tall replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa — made entirely out of LEGO. Weighing in at 150 pounds, the tower uses 17,700 individual LEGO pieces.

Led by student Justin Cosgrove, the project began in February and took 90 days and 130 hours to complete. Students said the biggest challenge of their tower was the introduction of the lean itself, which employs a steel and wood truss in the center of the tower for support.

In July, the life-like tower will be transported to Henry Maier Festival Park as part of Festa Italiana’s Piazza di LEGO, a new area on the festival grounds where children of all ages are welcome to participate in a daily LEGO building contest. Student volunteers from MSOE and the American Institute of Architects – Milwaukee will be there to assist the children with their constructions and teach them about what engineers do as a career.

The list of students (not all present at the press conference) that worked on the project are as follows:

Justin Cosgrove – Project Leader – Architectural Engineering Junior
Jessica Phillips – Architectural Engineering Junior
Kyle Welsh – Architectural Engineering Junior
Sam Pekarscik – Architectural Engineering Junior
Elise Pinkerton – Architectural Engineering Junior
Kaylie Lenz – Architectural Engineering Junior
Hunter Day – Electrical Engineering Junior
Marlon Petty – Electrical Engineering Junior
Jessica Iverson – Architectural Engineering Junior
Adam Jablonski – Architectural Engineering Freshman

Milwaukee School of Engineering MSOE

TCD photo assistant Nickolas Nikolic was at the Kern Center while these talented students carefully applied the final pieces. Check out the photo gallery on Flickr.com

Thirdcoastdigest.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Leaning Tower of Pisa out made of LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 12:49:59 GMT

[...]

Subject:
NEW LUG plus questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:24:03 GMT

To any and all in the SE Wisconsin / NE Illinois area.  There is a group of us
in Kenosha starting up a new LUG.  Anyone interested please feel free to contact
me.  Our next meeting is planned for Thursday Sept. 9th 2010 starting around 6.

Also - anyone who reads this, I am looking for activities that are done by other
LUGs during the meetings.  Our first meeting we did a parts draft, are there
other standard organized activities that you all do?

Thanks!

Chris Eyerly

Subject:
GMLTC to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:42:42 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 29th Annual Model Railroad Show.
Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & 9V train layout.
Judy & Bill Payne will also have their town layout featuring LEGO battery trains.
Trempealeau’s Dave & Stacy Sterling will be displaying their ToT-LUG LEGO Town & Train layout.
As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts from all over WI, MN & IA, exhibits and displays, railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 20th, 2010
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 21st, 2010
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated. Children under 11 are FREE when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Free parking, Wheelchair Accessible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lacrosse+center,+lacrosse,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=43.888615,-91.240768&spn=0.174931,0.32135&om=1&iwloc=A

More info:
http://lax3riversmodelrrclub.com/Show%20Dates.htm

Hope to see you there!

--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)

http://www.gmltc.org/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/gmltc/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=183883107508

Subject:
GMLTC to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:18:46 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 27th Annual Model Railroad Show.
Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & train layout.
Club member Judy Payne will also have a layout featuring LEGO battery trains and Duplo trains.

Also see John and Ross Neal’s Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC) layout.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/org/tcltc/
As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts from all over WI, MN & IA,
exhibits and displays, railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 8th, 2008
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 9th, 2008
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated.
Children under 11 are FREE when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

Free parking, Wheelchair Accessible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lacrosse+center,+lacrosse,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=43.888615,-91.240768&spn=0.174931,0.32135&om=1&iwloc=A

More info:
http://www.trains.com/trc/community/events/event-info.asp?eventid=11335

Hope to see you there!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)

Subject:
Any AFOLs in NE Wisconsin?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:13:43 GMT

Hi Wisconsinites!

I just moved to the Appleton area and wondered if there were any other fellow
brick enthusiasts around. I just moved into a place with a nice big unfinished
basement, and I've just started unpacking my bricks. I'd love to hang out with
other AFOLs, if there are any around!

I'm interested in town/trains mostly, but I like all things Lego.

Drop me an email at daveamos [[at]] gmail [[dot]] com or reply to this post.

Dave

Subject:
Vignette MOC of My Cubicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.org.us.tclug
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:46:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey everyone!

I was bored last night and decided I needed some LEGO at my desk at work.  I
whipped up this 12x12 vignette of my cubicle complete with me in minifig form.
You can check out the MOCPage and Brickshelf Gallery with the links below.  Any
comments are appreciated!  :-)

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=262076 Brickshelf Gallery>
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/32487 MOCPage>

-Dave

<http://photos.smsrallysport.com/ Dave & Stacy's Photo Page>
<http://blog.smsrallysport.com/ Dave & Stacy's Journal>

Subject:
G.M.L.T.C. to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:44:11 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 26th Annual Model Railroad Show.

Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & train layout.
Club member Judy Payne will also have x 15’x15 ’ layout featuring LEGO battery trains and Duplo trains.

Also see John and Ross Neal’s Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC) layout.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/org/tcltc/

As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts, exhibits and displays,
railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 17th, 2007
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 18th, 2007
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated.
Children under 12 are free when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

Free parking, Wheelchair Accessible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lacrosse+center,+lacrosse,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=43.888615,-91.240768&spn=0.174931,0.32135&om=1&iwloc=A

More info:
http://l3rclub.rrdepot.com/show.php
http://www.trains.com/trc/community/events/event-info.asp?eventid=10331

Hope to see you there!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)

Subject:
GMLTC upcoming shows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:22:40 GMT

(Cross-posted to a few relevant sections.  I hope I haven't gone bonkers.)

[The Greater Midwest Lego® Train Club] will be displaying its ever-expanding 18'
x 30' town/train layout at two Midwest shows in the coming weeks.  We've added
some new sections to the layout in recent months and hope to continue adding on
during the shows.

As always, we encourage visitors to bring their own rolling stock to run on our
layout.  There will be many many other (non-Lego®) train layouts and dealers
displaying at both shows, and John and Ross Neal's Twin Cities Lego® Train Club
(TCLTC) layout (<http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/10>) will also be set up at
the La Crosse show.

First, we're heading to a new show for us, close to home:

[The World's Greatest Hobby on Tour]
<http://www.wghshow.com/showinfo/stp/stpaul.htm>

Location:
St. Paul RiverCentre
175 West Kellogg Boulevard
St. Paul, MN 55102-1299

When:
Saturday, February 25, 2006: 10 am to 6 pm
Sunday, February 26, 2006: 10 am to 5 pm

Weekend admission:
$9.00 for adults.  Children under 16 enter free with a registered adult.

Three weeks later, we make our annual return to an old favorite:

[La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show]
<http://l3rclub.rrdepot.com/show.php>

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

When:
Saturday, March 18, 2006:  10 am to 6 pm
Sunday, March 19, 2006:  10 am to 4 pm

Admission (last year's rates, anyway):
$4.00 for adults, children under the age of 12 are free.
($1.00 off admission with donation of a non-perishable food item for local food
pantries.)

We hope to see you at one or both shows! :)

- Michael Zecca
GMLTC (<http://www.gmltc.org>)

Subject:
Hello Milwaukee!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:20:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'm on a project for a well known local employer for the next few weeks at
least, possibly longer... if there's any interest in getting together please
drop me a line... I'm staying downtown but usually have a rental.

++Lar

Subject:
G.M.L.T.C. to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:36:27 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 24rd Annual Model Railroad Show.

Thrill to the GMLTC's huge ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town/train layout
(a 30'x19' "L" at last count)!!!

Wonder at John and Ross Neal's Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC) layout.
(http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/10) Their 11'x12' display will be making its
debut public showing in La Crosse!!!

Marvel at Dan Siskind's (http://www.brickmania.com/) amazing LEGO
"Might Mo", the USS Missouri (BB-63) battleship!!!

As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run
on our layout. There will be many other (non-Lego) train layouts and dealers
displaying at the show.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 12th, 2005
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 13th, 2005
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
Adults $4.00
Children under the age of 12 are free
$1.00 off admission with donation of a non-perishable food item for local food
pantries

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

More info:
http://l3rclub.rrdepot.com/show.php

Hope to see you there!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)
G.M.L.T.C.
http://www.gmltc.org/

Subject:
Looking for a few contacts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mad
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:22:24 GMT

Hello Wisconsin,
I'm hoping to find a few AFOL's in the Madison area that would like an
opportunity to display at a LOCAL Fund Raiser/Charity event on January 29th
(short notice I know).  I’m still trying to get more detailed for the event
organizer, its not me :-),  and I don’t yet know what kind of display space
there may be.

Basically, I wanted to put some feelers to see if there are others in the area
that might want to help out.  If you want more info, and are interested, please
email me, by this Friday, the 16th.( again Short notice I know but I've been in
email limbo for the past few weeks) I’ll try to check back here too.

Thanks in advance,

Christina Hitchcock

Subject:
Call for a WILUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:19:15 GMT

Ok, just trying to see if there are enuf people to have our own LUG.
Respond here or email me at nofcarcanaguespam@nowi.rr.comspam .

Fred

Subject:
LEGO BBQ - June 26 - Bring Your Own Bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi, lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.trains.org.niltc
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:52:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Everyone is invited to a LEGO barbecue next Saturday, June 26, at my house in Wheaton, IL. Bring your models bring some food, and have some fun.

When: Saturday, June 26, 3:00 pm
Where: Tim Courtney’s House (email for directions)
Bring: Everyone who wants to cook on the grill should bring their own meat. Please bring a snack to share. Limited selection of soft drinks at the house, so bring your favorite beverage if you’re so inclined.
Ideas: Some could play BrikWars, we could do some collaborative building project (from my bricks or yours), etc.
Contact: Tim Courtney (email for phone number)

Please RSVP as early as possible. Last minute visitors are welcome, but if you can let me know ahead of time I’d like to have a count sooner than later :-)

-Tim

Subject:
G.M.L.T.C. to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:10:59 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 23rd Annual Model Railroad Show

See the the GMLTC's huge ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town/train layout
featuring many new trains. As always, guests are invited to bring along their
own rolling stock to run on our layout. There will be other (non-Lego) train
layouts and dealers displaying at the show.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 20th, 2004
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 21st, 2004
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
Adults $4.00
Children under the age of 12 are free
$1.00 off admission with donation of a non-perishable food item for local food
pantries

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

More info:
http://l3rclub.rrdepot.com/show.php

Hope to see you there!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)
G.M.L.T.C.

Subject:
Evans stores - my recent visit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.wi.grb, lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:37:43 GMT

Let's see who is still monitoring the .wi groups!

I recently made a trip around to Evans department/variety stores.  They are
nowhere near the gold mine they used to be many years ago, but I still had a
few good finds.  I primarily collect town, train, model team and star wars
and these were very light at all the stores (drat).

Since I got what I wanted, I'm sharing the rest with all you, in the hopes
you'll all share your finds here as well!

Two Rivers - nothing.  nada.  Old sets must get shipped to the other stores.

Kewaunee - not much sale priced (except some 6710 Landing Pads for $4.09),
but some old sets at decent prices:

Technic
8064 - 43.99
8222 - 14.88
8230 - 18.99
8244 - 27.99
8412 - 26.88
8720 - 33.99
8735 - 37.99
8824 - 21.99

5860 - 21.99
5880 - 45.99

2162 - 37.44
6434 - 47.99
6554 - 37.88
6958 - 37.44
6969 - 46.88
6977 - 74.88

Sheboygan Falls - many clearance prices on lots of older Technic sets, and a
few others:

Technic
8062 - 25.99
8215 - 2.99
8223 - 4.99
8232 - 7.99
8236 - 2.99
8239 - 7.99
8240 - 6.99
8241 - 3.99
8242 - 9.99
8245 - 9.99
8252 - 6.99
8269 - 12.99
8456 - 23.99
8465 - 18.99
8516 - 7.99
8520 - 9.99
8556 - 6.99
8812 - 8.99
8829 - 12.99
8857 - 15.99

2161 - 19.19
6180 - 37.50
6190 - 37.50
6199 - 42.99

Older sets not on sale:

3050 - 12.77
6026 - 4.88
6037 - 7.77
6093 - 85.99
6195 - 85.99
6198 - 65.99
6907 - 20.99
6975 - 56.88
6979 - 74.88

Kiel - I'm not doing all your work for you!  All the 7850 rails are gone
(there was one), but I left the 4548 speed regulator (who needs more of
those?).  There are no Metroliners hiding in the basement of the store
(actually, there wasn't anything in the basement that wasn't already on the
shelves, I looked).  But, there is still one of the larger M:Tron sets on
the shelves (no I don't remember which one).

Hopefully this helps someone, let me know if it helps you!

-John-

Subject:
Hello to Milwaukee Area
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi.mil
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 01:39:54 GMT

Hello,

I have finally settled in Milwaukee after a year of crazy transition. I've
unpacked the Lego in my Lego basement and run into a few people at TRU. Anyone
in the area, say hello, and drop by. Maybe we could organize a club.

-Erik

Re: Republic Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:57:50 GMT

I did not see any in Milwaukee at Target or Wal-Mart after Dec 29- they were
all cleaned out. None in Appleton either. They were consumed in Kohl's and
Shopko's 40% off sale before Christmas.

Though if you want a good deal on a Rebel Blockade Runner I have 3 of them
in Milwaukee -- I'll be there later this month. We go to Kenosha to eat at
Lone Star.

-Erik

Thanks for the reply. I'd feared the as much. Just have to keep an eye out I
guess. I'll pass on the RBR. I'm basically a mini-fig set buyer.
Thanks anyhow.
travis

Re: Republic Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:34:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.wi, Travis Yanke writes:
Has anyone been able to find one in stock at their local store in WI or
northern IL. I'm located in Kenosha. TRU has one (1) in Racine, but it's
really beat up, and full price. I've called a ton of stores already.
Thanks in advance.

travis

I did not see any in Milwaukee at Target or Wal-Mart after Dec 29- they were
all cleaned out. None in Appleton either. They were consumed in Kohl's and
Shopko's 40% off sale before Christmas.

Though if you want a good deal on a Rebel Blockade Runner I have 3 of them
in Milwaukee -- I'll be there later this month. We go to Kenosha to eat at
Lone Star.

-Erik

Subject:
Republic Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:43:22 GMT

Has anyone been able to find one in stock at their local store in WI or
northern IL. I'm located in Kenosha. TRU has one (1) in Racine, but it's
really beat up, and full price. I've called a ton of stores already.
Thanks in advance.

travis

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact