 Local / United States / Texas / Dallas/Ft. Worth / 49
Re: DFW, It's time to speak up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.dfw
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:32:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.tx.dfw, James Wilson writes:
I just moved to Dallas from Austin (not sure if it's :-( or :-)  )

my best friend works for Dell in Austin.. from what i've seen of the city it's
easily more beautiful than big D, but Dallas feels more "grown up" since there
isn't such a large percentage of college kids making up the population.. both
places are great (although neither one compares to Tucson, IMHO) and you can't
really go wrong living in either one.. especially if you're in the IT field...

Lego interests: anything black or grey, space, SW, some town stuff (for the
kids'interest, mainly).

sounds like we have a lot in common there!

I've been collecting Lego since I was about 7, never really went into a "dark
ages" unless teen years and military service count.  Really like L-draw -- I
like the idea of building something that _can't_ exist unless TLG makes new
parts/colors!

you were smart to not fall away.. i, unfortunately sold all of my '79-'82
classic space stuff (about 15 sets) for $75, thinking "i'll never want this
stuff again".. stupid stupid stupid...

I remember seeing web page of Bri-cad several years ago and that TLG had run
the author off by threatening him -- I'm glad  they've let L-draw flourish.

wow.. i never heard about Bri-cad or that "scandal".. interesting... i used to
draw all my designs on yellow graph paper when i was a kid.. then when
computers came along i always wanted to write a CAD proggy for Lego... but
being 12-13, i hadn't been exposed to matrix math and all the things that
would need to be mastered to handing 3D transformations and rotations.. then
when i was 26 i saw the supercar and HAD to have it... i went looking on the
web, doing searches for "lego AND cad".. stumbled across Terry Keller's page
and have been captive ever since... great to see there are so many people who
have walked the same path as me in terms of life and lego... :)

Tend to buy at Target -- I worked there for a few months, and they forgot to
get their 10% employee discount card back from me (sshhh)

hehehe.. that *rules*

Still hoping for an RIS for christmas, although the new (to us) house will
probably have to suffice this year...

congrats on the new house... and I got myself in RIS as a present when i got my
latest job... unfortunately i didn't get into as much as i would have liked...
i keep thinking i need to go back and play with it more.. but i'm more of a
form over function kind of modeller... it it looks cool, it works for me..
hehe!