 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 47
Re: Next NELUG meeting and potential Group project(s).
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:08:17 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

I love all your ideas.  I want to be careful calling something a contest
however just because I don't want NELUG members thinking "These guys are
competative and will be saying my models are crap and theirs are better".  I
would rather call something a challenge then a contest.  Of course I could be
completely wrong here and maybe a contest is good?

I actually had the same thought about 90 seconds following my post.  The
only means
in which I'd call it a "contest" is that there would be "entries" from
different
people, to allow for individuality.  That being said, I agree that
referring to it as
a contest is not really in the spirit of what I was suggesting, and
shouldn't be used.  Perhaps I would have been more correct in explaining
what my idea was if I'd called it an "exhibition" or a "gallery
collection" or something similarly reminiscent of an artistic
presentation.

As an aside, has anybody else here bought the DK Ultimate LEGO book from
S@H?  I just got mine yesterday, and I was really really impressed -
it's a beautiful, colorful, fascinating book.  Why haven't I heard
anybody else talking about it?

I was actually going to ask about this but know that I have heard what you
thought I think I will be ordering one.

Eric

The more I look through it, the more amazed I am - this book is prime
coffee-table material.  The models depicted are amazing, it talks about
how the pieces are made (all diagrammed with scenes made from LEGO), how
people become professional builders, how models are made, some of the
other product lines LEGO has dabbled in, a timeline of the company, etc.
etc.  At first I thought it read a little too advertisement-ish, only
highlighting successes, but it does detail at least one "flop", the
classic-car series of the 70s (to someone obsessed with "both sides of
the sotory", this was refreshing :).  As I said, I bought it on a whim,
and I definitely feel it is worth the $20.00.  Two thumbs up!

Incidentally (and more on-topic), it mentions a division of LEGO Futura
in Boston ... that's the branch that actually spends the entire year
playing around and trying to come up with new themes, and new designs
for sets within themes, and then presents their results twice annually
to the appropriate head-honchos.  Does anybody know anything about
this?  Where they are?  Is there any way we can make a pilgrimage?
*drool*

Shaun