 Local / United States / Ohio / Columbus / 105
104  |  106
Subject:
Another attempt at more traffic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh.col
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:46:07 GMT

I got a copy of the Pitsco catalog, to look into the Dacta a bit more.  I am on
the science support committee of my kid's school's PTA and we have funds to
spend, and need to see what we can spend them on.  Unfortunately the funds are
not unlimited, or not even enough to really have fun.  The school is
Kindergarden through 8th grade, and we are concentrating on the lower grades to
start, but even for those, there is lots of neat Dacta stuff. The
robolabs (mindstorms) and other stuff like elabs is very fun looking, and maybe
I can dream about the older kids getting it. I don't really know how good it is
at teaching (vs. just having fun).  I am going to try to convince the committee
that some of the non-robotic stuff would be very useful to teach the simple
machines benchmarks.  I have seen some Dacta boxes in some of the classrooms,
but when we asked the teachers to show us what science kits they already had,
none of the teachers put them (the Dacta) out for us to see.  I have to pursue
this.  It is all rather depressing to see all the assets they have already and
aren't using.  But that is another rant.

In the latest issue of Mania Magazine, they announce a contest in which the
prize is a vacation for 4 to Legoland CA for that summer lego meeting.  Geoff
wants to enter.  The entries are to be a less than 2 minute long video of Lego.
Something about you favorite Lego experience or such.  I don't have a video
camera. I can probably borrow one, but I think some editing capacity would be
necessary.  How does one edit video?  Geoff wants to do a short story involving
the monorail.  Is anyone else going to enter (I forgot to check if there is an
age limit), and can we share expertise, facilities, Lego, ideas?  I've got the
Lego, I need to borrow some expertise and facilities. Geoff has ideas, mostly
probably unrealistic.

Carolyn