 Local / United States / Ohio / 216
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:13:11 GMT

mjr22@cornell.edu (Mike Rayhawk) wrote in <Fsu8vq.D7D@lugnet.com>:
because everybody has to do a lot of extra work adding points for
you to field a TL3 army.  The best solution, if it's really that
important to you that the sides be even, would probably be for you
to make a 400 or 500 point castle army, I doubt anyone would hold it
against you.  Or, you could just leave it at 300 points, accept the
if you can't pull some hasty diplomacy to get another player to ally
[snipped to, well, somewhere]
  I don't plan on being very strict on comparing points before we start.
However, I'd like to have a good set of records so that post-battle analysis
can see what worked.  I think I'm going to try to field a similar sized army
to everyones, but add one or more defended buildings, more or less, for free.
That should even it out fairly well.

I agree, a separate section for the issue is needed.  Maybe I'll
just play as medieval and provide you with some feedback.
I would appreciate that!  I'm always on the lookout for feedback.  I
can't do a lot of playtesting nowadays since I'm in Los Angeles and
all my opponents and codevelopers are back in Portland.
  I'm going to try to have a pretty accurate count of what was fielded.  Then
we can let you have that with our exagerated descriptions of the battle.

[kinetic vs energy shielding]
  I think keeping the default to protect against both is the way to go.  Then
provide a way to reduce effectiveness for a price reduction.  It would be
simpler if any given force can only field one type of shield.  But it
wouldn't be that hard to come up with a way to note it.  Maybe a 'shield
generator' bit that signifies which kind of shield is being generated.  That
would also allow "target there shields, Mr. Worf" sort of tactics.

[magical add-ons to TL3 count like TL5]
  We'll probably try this later.

[TL4-5 anarchists]
  Interesting...

Costing everything has always been the biggest pain in my neck.
Whatever fix I eventually decide on, I'm going to have to make sure
it's a simple one, because the last thing I want to do is to
discourage cross-TL battles.
  I'm thinking that it wouldn't be hard to write a little java app(let) that
allowed someone to enter there army in and would handle costing.  It could
also be used for tracking the battle, if desired.  In my freetime, hehe ha ha
[excuse me.  fell down laughing], I'll have to try this.