 Local / United States / Ohio / 210
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 06:04:38 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Gino A. Melone writes:
  +1 for every TekLevel of sophistication above the battle's
I saw this somewhere in the rules.  It seemed too cheap the way I
read it.  Although, I really don't have any grasp on how much things
cost.  I also didn't see any context as to when to apply this penalty.

Yeah, those rules really need some fixing up, sorry about that.  It wouldn't
really work to use these rules in your current situation, because everybody
has to do a lot of extra work adding points for you to field a TL3 army.  The
best solution, if it's really that important to you that the sides be even,
would probably be for you to make a 400 or 500 point castle army, I doubt
anyone would hold it against you.  Or, you could just leave it at 300 points,
accept the fact that you're going to be playing at some disadvantage, and see
if you can't pull some hasty diplomacy to get another player to ally with you.

I agree, a separate section for the issue is needed.  Maybe I'll just
play as medieval and provide you with some feedback.

I would appreciate that!  I'm always on the lookout for feedback.  I can't do
a lot of playtesting nowadays since I'm in Los Angeles and all my opponents
and codevelopers are back in Portland.

I think making force fields not as effective at deflecting kinetic
weapons would go a long way toward evening it out.  Or maybe, have two
types of shielding.  What I'd normally call deflectors and shields.

This is a good idea, but that would be a pain to keep track of.  I'm writing
that down in my 'to do' file, but I'll wait to write it until we do the
SpaceFleet Battles supplement, and who knows how long that will be.  There are
a million supplements in the to-do file.

Everyone ends up needing to buy both to do any good.  Hmm.  Maybe, an
optional weakness against one or the other.  A force can buy-down its
shields to not be good against kinetic attacks.  That allows some
specific scenarios to be setup.

That would be the way to do it.

Another way around it is to use magic.  Allow magical powerups for
medieval weapons.  Probably could be done in the existing framework.
Just treat them like any other weapon improvement.

That would be a good solution.  If you were to use the Supernatural Powers
Supplement (which I don't really suggest for your first game), a magik TL3
army could probably go toe-to-toe with a TL5 army of the same cost.  You could
also say that your castle guys are TL5 anachronists, if they can commandeer
some enemy equipment they would know how to use it.  That might mean taking
rifles from dead soldiers or jumping off a horse onto an enemy BattleJeep and
fighting the driver for the controls.

Using dragons and wizards as the equivalant of higher TL units would
be a simple way to cover them.  This complicates costing though.  Maybe
have magic be a TL5 equivalent, cost-wise.  If a TL3 force has magical
units, they pay for them at the higher TL5 price.

Costing everything has always been the biggest pain in my neck.  Whatever fix
I eventually decide on, I'm going to have to make sure it's a simple one,
because the last thing I want to do is to discourage cross-TL battles.

- Mike Rayhawk

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm