 Local / United States / Ohio / 201
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:35:41 GMT

mjr22@cornell.edu (Mike Rayhawk) wrote in <FstJnx.1yF@lugnet.com>:
You know, I got this same question in e-mail yesterday.  I swear I
wrote rules to handle cross-TL battles, but for the life of me I
can't figure out where I put them in the rules.  I'm going to feel
  affected).  The cost of each unit or object is increased by
  +1 for every TekLevel of sophistication above the battle's
  base TL.
[bunch o' snipping in that]
  I saw this somewhere in the rules.  It seemed too cheap the way I
read it.  Although, I really don't have any grasp on how much things
cost.  I also didn't see any context as to when to apply this penalty.

  I agree, a separate section for the issue is needed.  Maybe I'll just
play as medieval and provide you with some feedback.

  I think making force fields not as effective at deflecting kinetic
weapons would go a long way toward evening it out.  Or maybe, have two
types of shielding.  What I'd normally call deflectors and shields.
Deflectors provide very good kinetic armor and very little or no energy
armor.  Shields provide no kinetic armor and are good at stopping
energy weapons.  That way, a unit can buy both to stop everything or
only one or the other.  I can see this being a problem too though.
Everyone ends up needing to buy both to do any good.  Hmm.  Maybe, an
optional weakness against one or the other.  A force can buy-down its
shields to not be good against kinetic attacks.  That allows some
specific scenarios to be setup.

  Another way around it is to use magic.  Allow magical powerups for
medieval weapons.  Probably could be done in the existing framework.
Just treat them like any other weapon improvement.

  Using dragons and wizards as the equivalant of higher TL units would
be a simple way to cover them.  This complicates costing though.  Maybe
have magic be a TL5 equivalent, cost-wise.  If a TL3 force has magical
units, they pay for them at the higher TL5 price.

    Thanks,
    Gino A...