 Local / United States / Ohio / 199
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:59:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Gino A. Melone writes:
As the guy with only a handful of space guys, I have some questions about
costing.  If looked at practically, Castle-era guys are a lot weaker than
TL4-5, like most of the field will be.  As far as I can tell, the rules
assume that all armies are being fielded in the same TL.

You know, I got this same question in e-mail yesterday.  I swear I wrote rules
to handle cross-TL battles, but for the life of me I can't figure out where I
put them in the rules.  I'm going to feel like an idiot if it turns out I
forgot to include them completely.  Here, let me quote from my e-mail:

(begin-quote)
   Well damn, I looked and looked and can't figure out where
   I put the cross-TL rules.  I hope I didn't forget to put
   them in.  But that's okay, I have better rules anyway.

   Here is the rule that was supposed to go into the 2000
   revision:

   If one player fields an army whose TekLevel is higher
   than one or more of his opponents' armies, he must pay
   more for his units and equipment.  The army with the
   lowest TL in the game determines the 'base TekLevel' of
   the battle.  A player who fields an army with a higher TL
   than the base TL must pay additional CP for each minifig,
   item of equipment, siege weapon, and vehicle whose TL is
   higher than the base TL.  (The cost of Bases is not
   affected).  The cost of each unit or object is increased by
   +1 for every TekLevel of sophistication above the battle's
   base TL.

   Now I'm not real fond of that rule, it seems too
   complicated, maybe that's why I (apparently) left it out.
   What I hope to do, is figure out some good system of point
   ratios between TLs.  Something like "Total Army Value =
   (TL+1)xCP", making a 400cp TL5 Space army = 480cp TL4 WWII
   army = 600cp TL3 Napoleanic army = 800cp TL2 Samurai army =
   1200cp TL1 Native American army = 2400cp TL0 Caveman army.
   The problem is, it's been such a long time since any of us
   bothered with the whole business of adding up points at all,
   that I've lost my feeling for the numbers and it's going to
   be awhile before I can convince everybody to do enough
   playtesting to find the right ratio.
(end-quote)

However, a score of space troopers (without flyers and such) facing a force
of 10,000 knights wouldn't be likely to last long.  Before you space-buffs
scoff, think it through.  An early medieval cavalry is VERY efficient at
attacking as a group.  You'd also be hard pressed to find a TL4 AI which is
anywhere near as effective an automonous control mechanism for a combat
vehicle as a battle-hardened warhorse.  I'd expect TL5 to be on-par with
the horse.

Earlier TLs do get an advantage if they can manage to close the distance with
more advanced soldiers before they all get shot.  I don't know why I put the
chart under 8.1.3: Belligerent People, but all Castle People get +1 CC Bonus
(not just civilians as this chart's placement implies).  Stats for Horses are
under 8.1.4, which is another bad placement decision.  I'll be moving them to
the Vehicles chapter.

If (major if), I could scrounge the time to build a well-fortified
castle, a substantial point outlay on defenses and the troops to man them
would create an interesting match against a lower-point TL5 attacker.
Assuming major limits on the number of flyers.  Classic castle design makes
some major assumptions about the durability of gravity.

If you're playing strictly medieval, it's going to take awhile for your
archers and spearmen to take those Flyers out, and it's nearly impossible to
hit the things with catapults.  But if you're willing to go a little post-
medieval and set up all those cannons you've got, then those flyers don't last
quite so long.  You'll want to have two men manning the cannon, one to load
powder in the back and one to load cannonballs in the front, so you can fire
the things once a turn.  Cannonballs get used up, but powder kegs don't; if an
enemy shoots a powder keg it goes up in a 2d10 explosion.

Another way to handle such drastically different TL between groups is to
ignore the fact that I am a lower TL.  I field Castle theme pieces, but
call them TL5.  Longbows are blurfl-rifles.  Crossbows are big-blurfl-
rifles.  (Can you tell I haven't read the rules carefully enough yet?)  A
Catapault is a cannon.  For that matter, I have a large supply of cannons.
A cannon is a TL5 cannon.  A dragon is a small-flyer (Like Mike suggested).
A wizards wand is something-neat.  Etc...

Nothing stopping you in this regard, we do that kind of stuff all the time.
You'd have a better chance of winning but it might not be as entertaining (or
glorious) as the whole Braveheart vs. Borg thing.

So, after rambling for a possible new record in this thread, how do you
envision handling cross-genre battles, Mike?

Well I'll tell you, it's something we do all the time, but it's a lot easier
for us because we never bother adding up all the points.  I'm definitely going
to have to make a new chapter subsection for cross-TL action, probably in
chapter 9 or 10 somewhere.

- Mike Rayhawk

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm