 Local / United States / Ohio / 200
Re: BrikWars question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:14:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Gino A. Melone writes:
Is it normal to reveal ones forces to the other players at the start?
Or do we deploy and if things aren't obvious, oh well?

Put another way, how does one handle 'secret-weapons'?

Normally, you want everything to be obvious to everybody, if you don't want to
start fights - especially in a newbie game where not everybody knows each
other that well.  When everybody is pretty comfortable with the rules, and
everybody in the game has gotten to know and trust each other pretty well,
then you can start thinking about subterfuge.

When you do start building secret weapons and traps and hidden compartments,
there are two ways to handle it: (1) tell everybody about them at the
beginning of the game, in case they have any objections or questions, and then
during the game they have to pretend that they don't know about them; or (2)
tell no one until you actually use them in battle, but if they have any
objections at that point it will be too late, so you better be pretty sure
that no one will have any objections.  We almost always go with the first
method, but you can see how some big arguments can get started either way if a
player is suspected of abusing the system.

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm