 Local / United States / New York / Syracuse / 81
Re: "The Dutchman" Version 1 is Done!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Matthew Wilkins writes:
I'm glad to see that Uncle Keith was there engaged in supervisory duties of
the utmost importance, and furthermore, making sure that the beer supply
doesn't get too big. *smile*

-Cheese

Yeah, the spud gun is a lot of fun, although I don't think it's something I'll
let my kids play with! (when I have kids, that is).  The amount of pressure
required to make the spuds go as fast as they do is fairly high, and I'm not
sure I would trust myself to build a gun sturdy enough to withstand it (or to
know when the thing had worn out and should be tossed).  Great fun as long as
it's working right, though!

The pics are actually my brother Steve's, btw, not mine, and he's the one who
has built his own gun.  I know you guys are probably all very disapointed to
learn I won't be able to bring this form of entertainment to the Syracuse-area
Lego get together whenever we have it ;)

Uncle Keith's spud gun had OK muzzle velocity, but not that great.  Steve's was
pretty good; I suspect that one could do a decent job of rabbit or squirrel
hunting with it if one could become accurate enough, but, well, let's just say
there are no sites on it 'cause they wouldn't do much good.  I recently heard
of some people trying to make a supersonic spud, that is, a potato gun with
muzzle velocity at Mach 1.  I guess their calculations indicated their gun
could do it, but they only got up to 500 MPH or so.  I guess a watermelon
placed in front of the gun absolutely disintegrated when hit by a potato.

Alan