Re: Triangle Area LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:53:22 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Mike Walsh wrote:
All for now - kind of quiet around here lately (in the NG), is everyone
building or something?

I've been sorting a lot.I've finally dug into the stacks of large sets.
I no longer have a floor to ceiling stack (though several stacks do
reach the ceiling, they just don't start on the floor). I think I'll be
re-evaluating my decision to keep all the boxes. One thing I'm starting
to realize is that very few sets have a higher value as a set than as
parts, even when several years old. I'll probably still keep all the
instructions though (they probably don't even fill a copier paper box
worth of volume, compared to the fact that I may now have a larger
volume of empty (and mostly flattened) boxes than unsorted boxes.

I have also considered "the box problem."  So far, I've kept all my
boxes by placing the smaller ones inside larger ones, and while it has
resulted in a space savings, I'm still not happy with the amount of
space my boxes are taking.  So, as an experiment, I have statred cutting
the boxes into panels.  I took a <set:6456> Mission Control and cut all
the panels off.  I am very pleased with the results.  All the panels can
now be stored in a very thin pile and the box art is a lot more
accessible.  I envision using the larger panels of my boxes as posters
that I could hang above my layout...changing the displayed image every
so often.  Try cutting up a few boxes of sets that you don't like as
sets as an experiment...and then there are all those panels that can be
used as bookmarks or as fodder for collage work...

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

--