Subject:
LEGO Packaging - was(Re: Triangle Area LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Walsh wrote:
...  is everyone building or something? • (snip)
I think I'll be re-evaluating my decision to keep all the boxes.... • (snip)
I may now have a larger volume of empty (and mostly flattened) boxes than
unsorted boxes.

An interesting topic is the LEGO boxes themselves...
(Having just moved and moved my LEGO boxes with the parts, I'll ramble for a
bit.)
Has anyone explored this lesser aspect of LEGO?
I'm certain that this topic is far older than my experience...
Perhaps Gary Istok, could comment on it.

BASIC PACKAGING
---------------
Small and Tiny sets have a single box with pre-printing on brown or white
cardboard.

Medium / Larger set: There are 2 elements of the box.
1) The inner cardboard box, which comes in various standard sizes
It is typically plain cardboard brown, although it has also been dyed Yellow,
Pink, Blue, and occasionally Green. It can also come with a inner box
separator, providing a single separation inside the box.
-and-
2) The outer overlay box, pre-printed
Lately LEGO has increasingly combined the 2 into a single box, for the smaller
sets in this size. They do so by using a inner-box quality cardboard, and
pre-print it.  Ninja and Star Wars sets are suffering this shift.

Inner boxes come in standard sizes, with the defining size dimension being the
unfolded box width.

Large sets:
Typically a single box, with separate sections internally. I call these
'pillow-boxes' since the outer shell is a fold-over of the outer box, forming
an air-space between the outer printed shell and inner parts-space
Separate internal sections seem to be increasingly passe for LEGO as the USC
line is free from internal separations.

Internal separations aren't dead yet, and have been used in either the
cross-hatch (rectangular) typified in the train line, or the diagonal-hatch
seen in Time-themed sets. Folded half-boxes are also employed to separate
sections in these larger sets.

Alternatively, LEGO has also employed internal plastic tray separations. These
come in a variety of colors (Blue, Yellow, Clear - I'm aware of) These are
typically seen in Mindstorms, ModelTeam, and Technic.

Why separate internally at all?
Because packaging is designed to hold the parts during shipment, and a smaller
space to rattle around in, means less opportunity to burst bags.
All modern manufacturing, probably LEGO included, use a shake/rattle testing
machine to see if the contents will survive the hazards of shipping.

PACKAGING ACCESSORIES
---------------------
Display Trays:
Internal to medium and large sets is the display tray. They've come in clear
and yellow plastic, with an overlay of plastic to keep the parts in place.
It's my understanding that these trays may still be filled by hand (does anyone
know?)
The tray is displayed in a clear plastic view window which is in either (or
both) the outer box, or under a lid. (Lids and trays typically go together)

Lids:
Medium and Large boxes typically have lids.  I believe the purpose is so the
buyer can actually stop, and 'open' the set a little and see what's inside by
viewing a display tray.

PACKAGING NOTATION
---------------------------------
This is area of much speculation.
I do know, however, that just like parts, LEGO numbers their internal boxes.
They recently switched the numbering scheme from a 5-digit to a 6-digit system.

FINALLY:
------------
My best note on packaging is LEGO's continuing habit of "hiding" parts.
On nearly every set's packaging that I've looked at, the alternative and
standard models scenes on the outside of the boxes will go out of their way to
hide certain parts from view.
You have to buy the set to know what parts are inside.
These hidden parts are typically the rarer parts too!

No discussion of packaging would be complete without a plug for the (best?)
packaging engineering school, which I believe is at the University of Minnesota
(anyone know otherwise?).

-Jon
(Perhaps someone should next discuss my real headache area - tires)