 Local / United States / Michigan / 312
Re: Advertising for the meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:24:21 GMT

Tim,  you're not gonna like this....

But for me "plundering" in the USA in the 1980's usually meant "clearance
sales".  And at $19.95 each, Yellow Castles and Main Street's..... well lets
just say I couldn't resist.  And those toy store liquidations of  London Bus
sets at $7.35 each........

In Germany, there was no LEGO clearance anywhere!!  But that was OK, since it
meant 20 year old sets still sitting on the shelf at many toy stores.

Gary Istok

Tim Courtney wrote:

"Gary Istok" <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
And then there were a few referrals from TLC Enfield.... the Canadian • Broadcast
Corp.- I was on TV in Canada (Lego is not just for kids) on "The Journal", • this
was rebroadcast in the USA and in Germany; I was also contacted by an • advertising
agency called Magic Lantern Inc. - they wanted me to do some LEGO • constructions
for a commercial; and of course there was Henry Wiencek, the author of • "The World
Of Lego Toys", who interviewed me (page 30).

Pardon me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

I used that book as one of my sources when I was writing a paper my freshman
year of high school about Lego toys.  Cool! :D

Back in the 80's when I was plundering the toy stores of the American • midwest and
northeast, as well as southern Germany, I felt all alone in the LEGO • Universe....
that is until the ATL/RTL and then LUGNET came into being, and I • discovered
VOILA!! there is intelligent Lego life out there....  I am not

Sometimes I think the only thing left for me to be jealous of is people who
plunder toy stores.  And yes, I am :-)

...I'm more jealous of those who plunder toy stores, sort it all, Brickbay
some, and come away not paying a cent (but some time).  No time/seed $$ to
start my own business like that....not to mention those who do that after
plundering at 75% off - ahem, TROY! :o)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne