 Local / United States / California / San Francisco / San Jose / 75
74  |  76
Subject:
places to find good selection/deals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:52:18 GMT

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can share where they find the best selection and/or
deals on LEGOs around the South Bay?

The places I have hit are:

* Sunnyvale TRU: great selection for a TRU; sometimes, there are good deals on
polybags.  A few bucks off here and there on certain sets, but nothing I can't
beat shopping online.  They tend to offer good discounts on sets that sell
really slow, like the Wild West stuff.  Almost never walk out empty-handed.

* Newark TRU: decent selection.  Don't go there too often, so can't say much
about deals.

* Milpitas Wal-Mart: decent selection.  Can get really good deals on small sets
sometimes.  Sets normally a few cents cheaper than elsewhere, if that matters
to you.  Walk out empty-handed sometimes, partly depending on the size of the
lines there.

* Newpark Mall Kay-Bee: bad selection, like all Kay-Bees.  Sometimes you find
something you want there that you don't find at places like TRU or Wal-Mart.  I
found a Mountain Rambler there once for the usual $19.99 and took it.  Probably
not the first place I'd go to, but if I happen to be in the mall, it doesn't
hurt to drop by.

* Newpark Mall Target: average selection, but all the sets they have seem to be
very common elsewhere as well.  They don't sell below MSRP normally, from what
I can tell.

* Sunnyvale K-Mart: having a 20% off sale right now.  Can't remember if they
have any other discounts on certain sets in addition to the 20% off, but I did
remember walking out of the store empty-handed.

* Union City Wal-Mart: bad selection, especially for a Wal-Mart.  There were
some $4 off $40+ unpopular sets deals there, like the Gungan Sub.  Everything
was quite disorganized as well.  I don't think I'll ever go back unless
something changes.

I've been pretty much sticking with the online shopping for now (you know, $10
off your $25 order at toysrus.com, DYA for the 8880 Super Car at a reasonable
(not EBay) price, $25 Search Sub from S&H, etc.), since it seems to offer me a
better deal.  Shopping online can also be cheaper because sometimes you don't
have to pay sales tax, as I found out when I ordered the 8448 Super Street
Sensation from S&H for $139.  When I found that the local TRU was selling these
for $129, I felt bad for a moment, until I figured out that with sales tax, the
final price would have come out the same (since S&H is in Connecticut and I'm
in CA, i don't have to pay sales tax), and I get a free McDonald's set with
S&H.

But I do wonder if anyone around here has found a local place with good deals.
Especially for smaller sets (like polybags) that you either can't get through
online merchants or that would cost too much to ship.

FYI, my interests are (right now) Technic, Ninja, and Star Wars.  I'm looking
forward to the new Castle, and I might get a small Adventurer set or two here
and there if I find a good deal.  I am not a fan of Res-Q, Insectoids, Extreme
Team, the new Town stuff, Space Port, etc.  I just came out of my Dark Ages and
have found that LEGOs, while expensive, are nowhere nearly as expensive as
cars.

Thanks,

- Dave