Re: Name of Club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:23:02 GMT

The successful groups seem to be brand-specific, with the
exception of the DoD and the Joust event.

I disagree.  Model railroader groups tend not to be brand-specific.
Similarly with craft groups such as beading, knitting, and the like.
I'm sure we can find lots of examples of both brand-specific and
non-brand-specific groups, but I'd rather not have to.

I think "collecting" groups are more brand-specific than
"building" or "use" oriented groups.  Lego has both "collecting"
and "building" adherents, and some who do both.

Many of the building adherents are willing to use other brands where
appropriate.  Example: Paul Gyugyi's excellent construction at the San
Francisco Fest last year used some olive drab bricks.  If we had a
building contest I for one would not want to rule out contructions
that used some compatible non-Lego brand of bricks.

Another reason why the Lego (TM - no endorsement implied) club should
include other brands of building bricks is that a precedent has been
set by r.t.l.  Here is the r.t.l charter (from the FAQ):

  To provide a forum for the discussion of all things and experiences relating
  to the LEGO(tm), DUPLO(tm) and compatible construction toys. Including
  interesting models that one has built, experiences one has had using LEGO,
  or questions about how to build particular components.

My suggestions again:

BABBS - Bay Area Building Brick Society
BABBL - Bay Area Building Brick League

Advantages:

Both are easy to pronounce.

Neither babbl.org nor babbs.org is taken.

Neither has "Lego" in the name, which means we don't have to
deal with TLG's lawyers.

So, what's the nomination and voting procedure for the names?

/Eric M/