re: Club Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:46:40 GMT

Danger, long post.

These are my comments on the Club/Group ideas: Of course they are all my
own twisted opinions.   ;-)   FWIW.

DOMAIN NAME:

I'm not too concerned with the name. baylug is fine. It's probably easier
than researching/getting approval from LEGO to use the name Lego Club.
We're probably better off avoiding any lawsuit potential as Todd Lehman
pointed out.

MISSION: we should probably have some stated purpose for organizing.
    How about "to hold regular get-togethers, and share LEGO ideas"?

I like this cuz it's simple and to the point. I mean, that IS what we want
to do, isn't it? Get together and share LEGO ideas.

OFFICERS:

My own perspective: I need someone to lead and point the way. Otherwise
I'll just play with LEGOs. But I'm not volunteering leadership. I'm already
in 3 other *clubs* which take time and make it difficult to juggle meetings
between them all. I imagine dues covering mail, domain name, web hosting
and all that other listed stuff, unless individuals are capable/willing to
donate any portion of the list themselves. Nominees are probably the way to
get people.

WEBSITE:

A website would be way cool to show members models. (Especially since I
don't have a website!) ;-) I'm a graphic designer and would like to
volunteer to do artwork for the pages. I have a scanner and other equipment
to get artwork generated, but NO experience setting up a site. If I can be
guided with info on sizes and efficient file formats, maybe I can help. I
would also like to do a logo if that was part of the idea. Links seem to be
a good idea. And I would say that members who want their photos on the web
should be able to get them there. Those who don't shouldn't be required to.

SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS:

Same perspective as >OFFICERS: for me. I'll just play. (at least for now)

GET-TOGETHERS:

I like the quarterly meetings that Russell suggested. The months sound OK
to me, but I think August will always be a problem with summer vacations.
But that's the way it is out here in the West. I guess if you can't make
one, you try to make another. My view on dates is you just pick one
(whoever is organizing gets that privilege) and stick with it. Those who
can make it, do. If you try to please everyone, you get into a big hassle.
But you guys already knew that, didn't you? My view of a get together is
like what happened at the SF meet. Tables filled with LEGO creations. The
more the better! And chairs for people to sit down and explore the
techniques of assembly that others use. It was great to see all that stuff!
I would love to host a meet, but I think my house is too small. Maybe I
could get a circus tent for the yard?

So that's some of my drivel for the record-or not. ;-)

On other notes:

I don't like the popup ads at Geocities, they annoy me.
Thanks for the train show, Zonker! It was great.

I'm looking for 2 of those really big tires that were in the old Technic
Backhoe/Loader. The wheels for the tires are cylinders with holes in 'em.
Sorry I can't be more descriptive. I'm new to this stuff. I don't know what
else they came in. Can anybody help?

Fred
Fred Yokel
2635 North First Street, Suite 204