Re: Club Name discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:04:02 GMT

Russell Clark wrote:
The naming choice "BayLUG" was made because a few of the people who
were originally brainstorming the club idea were interested in being
affiliated with LUGNET, so we were looking for a ___LUG name. (This
is along the lines of a new train group using ___LTC for a name. :-)
[...]
While I agree that "users" seems technical, and that Bay Area LEGO Club fits
us better, I have to swing towards BALUG.ORG or SFBALUG.ORG. I agree
completely with Todd on the trademark issue. I want to be on LEGO's good
side, not against their laywers.

One thing maybe worth considering is how the name is likely to be
pronounced...

BayLUG or BAYLUG would most certainly be pronounced BAY-lug by anyone who
sees it.  They probably wouldn't know what it stood for, but they wouldn't
mispronounce it.

BALUG isn't so clear -- is it pronounced BAL-uhg (like "ballad" or Balok)
or BAY-lug or BAYL-ug?

SFBALUG -- is that pronounced ESS-EFF-BEE-AY-lug or ESS-EFF-BAL-uhg or
ESS-EFF-BAY-lug?

PNLTC is unpronounceable no matter how you look at it, so that's OK; no one
is going to bastardize (mispronounce) the name.  But when you have a name
with a vowel surrounded by consonants, someone will always try to make it
into a word and say it aloud.  If they're lucky, they get it right.  :)

Mid-word capitalization tricks may also help, but probably only in weird
cases.  For example, BOSLUG (for Boston) might accidentally be pronounced
BOW-SLUG, but BosLUG would probably be pronounce correctly.

--Todd

p.s.  I wonder what a Puget Sound Area LEGO Users Group would choose for
an acronym -- PSLUG or PSALUG or PUGLUG?  :-)