Re: Club Name discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 06:37:37 GMT

The naming choice "BayLUG" was made because a few of the people who
were originally brainstorming the club idea were interested in being
affiliated with LUGNET, so we were looking for a ___LUG name. (This
is along the lines of a new train group using ___LTC for a name. :-)

BUT, since we haven't registerd BAYLUG.ORG, and since BALC.ORG is
still available, what do folks think? Preferences for one name or
the other? Is there any other name(s) that I should check?

I would caution against using the name "LEGO Club" in any capacity without
the explicit approval of LEGO.

Note that "LEGO Club" is a name already taken by TLG and used by TLG
in an official capaicty -- in the U.S. and Canada and possibly other
countries.  The LEGO Club has a logo, a bi-monthly magazine, and does
massive advertising through flyers included in each LEGO set.

In other words, something calling itself the Bay Area LEGO Club might be
viewed by TLG as trademark dilution.

While I agree that "users" seems technical, and that Bay Area LEGO Club fits
us better, I have to swing towards BALUG.ORG or SFBALUG.ORG. I agree
completely with Todd on the trademark issue. I want to be on LEGO's good
side, not against their laywers.

Russell

PS    Todd, is there something that can be done about the double messages? I
get one from ba-lego and one from LUGNET.