Re: Buildings, etc. for BAYLTC NMRA Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 01:52:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mike Poindexter writes:
LPL, which is Legoland Power & Light, will provide electricity
to any structures that need it.

Cool. Because I will :) I gotta little something in mind. Speaking of a little
something, any plans for a working drawbridge? ;-) <grins, ducks and runs (aka
the "John Neal Manuever">

Although I hate to sound like a dictator, I (or at least a committee) will
have to have final say over structures, in order to ensure that we have a
robust economy in our little town, rather than 3 PDs, 4 McDonalds and such.

I would like to see a committee set up or perhaps a quorum of train club
members look and decide. Because while there may be 4 McDonalds, they might be
all different: so which one would everyone like the best? And which one
physically fits? And no, I don't want 3 PD's. But it might end up being that
we bring everything to a meeting that we want to offer within baseplate
constraints (no matter how many duplicate police stations, fire stations, etc.
there end up being) and we just try and see how things look, and how they look
together and vote on it. Sounds haphazard I know, but at least we get to see
everyone's stuff and any chemistry that happens to erupt.

As a side note, notice that although there are about 20 or so Police
Stations, there are no donut shops in Legoland.  What's up with that?

Continued side note: notice also that there aren't any fat cops in
miniland :)  But just the same, I like finding those "donut shop" nitches and
filling them. I guess the problem with donuts themselves is that there aren't
any tan 1x1 round "ring" pieces (that I know of).. but maybe in Throwbots?
Unless there are tiny beige gear pieces that can be kruller donuts :) I would
definitely like to work on smaller stuff myself. I would like to work on a
candy shop too and possibly a deli. Though in a more metropolitan town, such
establishments are often on the first floors of office buildings, and are not
independent structures.

think I am going to build one for the town and I can probably learn a lot
about trying to "build small," which is about the opposite of how I lean.

I don't have as nearly as big a collection as most of you all, so most of what
I could offer would be smaller. Yet small can be beautiful. But if not
careful, it might also get buried/hidden if it's placed just to "fill in"
small spaces. One thing that might be worth trying to collaborate on is a
small plaza full of smaller shops and what not. I wouldn't do a mall cuz they
have roofs and anything inside can't be seen.

I also like to do less obvious, funny/"slice of life" things as the situation
permits, such as dog and hydrant, kids flying kite, etc. as those add really
nice touches to a layout. WAMALUG's "cat in the garbage can" made me laugh.

I think that although a mountain scene would be nice, it is not something
that can easily be "sub-contracted" to several people and have it look right
when it goes together.  I plan on making a nice, long mountain scene in the
future, but I think it will be too long for this layout, as I was going to
have track going up a grade to take trains from the upper level to the lower
one.  This will end up being 20-25' long, though, and will not fit in our
NMRA layout.  For now, we are pressed for time and I would suggest building
something that we can all pitch in on and a town would be just perfect.  I
am guessing that a layout that doesn't include "everything you need" but
does have a few really nice sections would work just fine.  After all, this
is our first show and I don't expect to knock 'em dead until we get a little
more time to get our layout a little better defined.

And it might be good to have a few smaller layouts (such as August's) more or
less pre-decided that way there's minimal continual juggling going on aside
from upgrading or replacing structures a layout. Majorly reworking layouts for
each show sounds like it would be sorta bothersome after awhile.

As for what we need, I think this is what a nice town should have:

Train Station
Hotel
City Hall • <snipped good list>

I am sure there are other things I have missed.  I would personally like to
build the train station, as I have been working on one on and off for about
a year and am almost finished.

I would respectfully offer that a committee/quorum decide which buildings to
include, subject to any prior applicable guidelines set by any train committee
already established.

Everyone: how "cosmopolitan/urban/suburban/industrial" should our town be?
While we might want a variety of things, often towns do not possess much
variety in urban/rural mix. Do we care? Just as example, should we pick a real
town/city that's fairly well documented pictorially and try and emulate its
style?

I have as of late halted all building
construction so that I can focus on sorting bricks and getting ready to make
this Legomodular town.  I think I just passed the point where I have enough
bricks to get it done.  This weekend, I sand and paint tables and then start
laying out the foundation.  When I get done with the foundation, I will get
back to work on the train station, as I put it through its final rebuild.
This time, it will be modular, since a 45" building cracks when moved, and
lights will be installed, so that the layout will look cool in the dark,
too.  Beyond that, I am not committing to anything until I can see how much
more I can do, since I am estimating that my plate will continue to be quite
full for some time now.

Please don't burn yourself out. You're doing an awful lot here. Maybe I'm
being paranoid and selfish speaking like this here but if you burn out, you'll
take a LOT with you that'll take us a long time to recover/replace, unless you
would sell it to the club, and ouch! who has that kinda cash laying around?

Mark Benz <Mark.Benz@BroadVision.com> wrote in message
Hi all,

We loved the multi-story downtown buildings from Sunday, and may try to
build one. I think they would look very cool on the NRMA layout. In that
spirit, we would like to offer any/all of our collection of town
buildings/vehicles for the modular layout, including the Mission, (though
its likely too big, maybe just the front?) for the NMRA layout.

While now realistic in size for miniland, I think the mission would fit better
if you shrunk it all down (and maybe go to thinner walls?) It would be nice to
have a bit of nice landscape around it. I think we should keep it as it would
add a distinct "California" flavor to the layout. Besides, most major bay area
cities have one, not to mention other cities down the coast. Also, if you
shrunk it down, you could use the leftover roof slopes for other buildings.

The total of our available "regular" sets, some more appropriate than
others, includes:

6328 Helicopter Transport
6331 Patriot Jet
6334 Wave Jump Racers

<snipped list>

While these are great, I'd rather see cool MOC's in the layout, as you might
agree. But if it's a matter of filling up the town until those MOC's are built
maybe we could use some of these sets in the interim.

It also sounds like people really do want VARIETY. Plain houses... whatta
concept! :)

-Tom McD.