Re: Buildings, etc. for BAYLTC NMRA Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:03:35 GMT

I am currently working on the town plan right now.  Russell Clark and I
discussed it at some length after the meeting at Zonker's and we had some
rough ideas.  I have gone over them and done the math to find plot sizes,
but I have to recalculate things, as I must "move" the "El" either North or
South on the layout to line up the track breaks on the modules.  This will
require fiddling around with the lot sizes to make sure that they are an
easy to work with number and that all of the roads are spaced so that they
both look right and fit in with the area we have.

I think that I would like to see a town that looks like a town.
Unfortunately, Lego's sets don't quite do that, unless you live in a police
state that is prone to fires and hosts all sorts of motor sports.  A town
map will go up soon and list the streets, railways, sidewalks and vacant
lots, along with sizes.  Some lots will have elevation changes on them, so
they will be a little trickier to build, but still shouldn't be too
difficult.  LPL, which is Legoland Power & Light, will provide electricity
to any structures that need it.  Figure that there will be plenty of 32x32
lots, with a few 32x48s and a row of 48x???, which I will most likely be
commandeering under the Imminent Domain laws.  There will also be some 32x64
lots that can be broken up into 2 32x32 lots or kept as one, depending on
the structure.

Although I hate to sound like a dictator, I (or at least a committee) will
have to have final say over structures, in order to ensure that we have a
robust economy in our little town, rather than 3 PDs, 4 McDonalds and such.

As a side note, notice that although there are about 20 or so Police
Stations, there are no donut shops in Legoland.  What's up with that?  I
think I am going to build one for the town and I can probably learn a lot
about trying to "build small," which is about the opposite of how I lean.

I have not received the packet from the NMRA on our details, but I think
that our layout space is for the layout and that a safety zone is roped off
for us outside of our space.  I will get more details on that later.  At
this time, we do not know if we have a "center layout" or are backed up
against a wall, so backdrop scenery might not even be possible.  Table
skirting will be upon us to make.

I think that although a mountain scene would be nice, it is not something
that can easily be "sub-contracted" to several people and have it look right
when it goes together.  I plan on making a nice, long mountain scene in the
future, but I think it will be too long for this layout, as I was going to
have track going up a grade to take trains from the upper level to the lower
one.  This will end up being 20-25' long, though, and will not fit in our
NMRA layout.  For now, we are pressed for time and I would suggest building
something that we can all pitch in on and a town would be just perfect.  I
am guessing that a layout that doesn't include "everything you need" but
does have a few really nice sections would work just fine.  After all, this
is our first show and I don't expect to knock 'em dead until we get a little
more time to get our layout a little better defined.

As for what we need, I think this is what a nice town should have:

Train Station
Hotel
City Hall
Bank
Church
Office building
Apartment complex
A park
Auto garage
Gas Station
restaurant
Grocery Store
Town houses
Cargo center

I am sure there are other things I have missed.  I would personally like to
build the train station, as I have been working on one on and off for about
a year and am almost finished.  I have as of late halted all building
construction so that I can focus on sorting bricks and getting ready to make
this Legomodular town.  I think I just passed the point where I have enough
bricks to get it done.  This weekend, I sand and paint tables and then start
laying out the foundation.  When I get done with the foundation, I will get
back to work on the train station, as I put it through its final rebuild.
This time, it will be modular, since a 45" building cracks when moved, and
lights will be installed, so that the layout will look cool in the dark,
too.  Beyond that, I am not committing to anything until I can see how much
more I can do, since I am estimating that my plate will continue to be quite
full for some time now.

Mike Poindexter

Mark Benz <Mark.Benz@BroadVision.com> wrote in message
Hi all,

We loved the multi-story downtown buildings from Sunday, and may try to
build one. I think they would look very cool on the NRMA layout. In that
spirit, we would like to offer any/all of our collection of town
buildings/vehicles for the modular layout, including the Mission, (though
its likely too big, maybe just the front?) for the NMRA layout. Ross and I
would be happy to provide our airport w/ custom hanger, and some Bellville
beach stuff if appropriate (a chance to use tan & blue bricks?).

I assume, but could be wrong, that we do not especially want to emphasize
the over abundance of race cars, and related sets etc. that Lego has. Do • you
plan to have a race course at all?  I hope there would be most of: police • &
fire stations, hospital, wharf, construction site, etc? How about some • plain
houses? maybe a soccer stadium?

Has anybody (Mike?) done a layout sketch yet of the track plan and • scenery?
I think there should be two towns or a town and "rural", mountain (BURP?) • or
some other area so the trains have a destination.  At only 10x15ft its not • a
lot of room. We definitely need to find out if they have skirting • available
for the edges, and if we can hang stuff from the ceiling. What about
backdrops? sky etc? Do you think we can have the layout all the way to the
edge of the space? I think we should try, with the track set back at least
8-12 inches from the front. Are there NMRA guidelines? Operating space in
the center should probably be at least 4x4 ft if not bigger. I also have • an
old Model Railroader 101 track plan ideas book that could help, using the
"O" scale plans maybe...

Can also provide a number of burps for mountains, tunnels, will count • them.

What do you think? If you don't want any of the stuff, that's ok too!

Of particular interest might be:
2150  Red Train Station still MISB! (Anybody wanna build a US style
station?)
4552 Cargo Crane
6340 Hook & Ladder Truck
6350 Pizza To Go
6378 Service Station
6397 Gas & Wash Express
6410 Cabana Beach
6411 Sand Dollar Cafe
6414 Dolphin Point
6521 Emergency Repair Truck
6541 Intercoastal Seaport (wharf)
6598 Metro Police Station (also has small wharf)
6671 Utility Lift
6682 Cement Mixer

The total of our available "regular" sets, some more appropriate than
others, includes:

6328 Helicopter Transport
6331 Patriot Jet
6334 Wave Jump Racers