Re: Second BayLUG get-together (8/99) summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:39:56 GMT

We decided that the half of the room closest to the windows would
be the "OK to touch" area, with the "hands-off" models being in the
back of the room. We also forgot to bring any "Please Do Not Touch"
signs for tables, so we simply wrote it on the white boards along
one wall, in the hands-off area. This seemed to work very well,
as I heard many parents advising their kids to not touch models.

All in all, I think the kids were better behaved, and the adults
did keep a better eye on their kids that day. :-)

The kids dids were much more manageable this time.

The train model and the VCR seemed to hold crowds the longest.
The static models held some interest, and a few visitors even
bought some of the older models from sellers, but the displays
that moved, or were "active" seemed more interesting.

I am planning a moving set-up for next time.

Something else that might have retained the visitors longer may
have been an area for kids to play with LEGOs. Joe Greene's parts
trading at the first meeting was really engaging for about 10 kids.
We didn't have anything to pick up and play with at the second
meeting, and I think we should try to have something more 'hands-on'
for the November meeting. (Of course, I'll be playing with the
train display, so I can't help much, unless we have shifts between
watching displays and the kids area. :-)

We definitely need a "play area."

1) How formal do we want the meetings to be? Should we have an
    aganda portion of the meetings? (Maybe we do this when we first
    get to the room, and set up displays after the meeting?) Does
    anyone feel really strongly whether we should, or shouldn't
    have a 'formal' meeting part at each get-together?

I think we need a formal meeting. One thing I would like is a "Hi. I'm so
and so." I kept having to ask Zonker who people were.

2) Do we want to carry on the agenda in email, either in the BA-LEGO
    mail list (so we have an archive in the LUGNET SF newsgroup)?
    Or would we rather have a seperate list for club things? Is
    anyone strongly for or against having the dicussions in email,
    instead of waiting for the get-togethers?

I'm against the e-mail thing, however it will help non-attending members to
know what is going on.

NEXT MEETING:

We've discussed having the next meeting in November, with a Train theme.
We may have a good chance at getting the room in Fremont if we reserve
it soon (because the holidays are coming) but which weekend is best?
Is Saturday the best day? Does anyone else want to look for a room
in their city, and host a meeting? :-)

I like the train theme in November. Many people can shop off their
"Christmas trains." I hope to have a 4.5v train display ready for November.

Russell Clark
http://baylug.org/russellc/
ICQ: 39423705