Re: Second BayLUG get-together (8/99) summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:14:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Russell Clark writes:
Something else that might have retained the visitors longer may
have been an area for kids to play with LEGOs. Joe Greene's parts
trading at the first meeting was really engaging for about 10 kids.
We didn't have anything to pick up and play with at the second
meeting, and I think we should try to have something more 'hands-on'
for the November meeting. (Of course, I'll be playing with the
train display, so I can't help much, unless we have shifts between
watching displays and the kids area. :-)

We definitely need a "play area."

Do y'all think that the lack of a play area helped the kids be a bit more
under control too? Note that I am not against the play area idea: on the
contrary I'm for it. I'm just asking if it's true in your opinion. A play area
might be a "necessary evil" ;-)  and as such we should be ready to deal with
it should there be one.

1) How formal do we want the meetings to be? Should we have an
    aganda portion of the meetings? (Maybe we do this when we first
    get to the room, and set up displays after the meeting?) Does
    anyone feel really strongly whether we should, or shouldn't
    have a 'formal' meeting part at each get-together?

I think we need a formal meeting. One thing I would like is a "Hi. I'm so
and so." I kept having to ask Zonker who people were.

I like the idea of formal meetings but it seems like it's almost too much to
do in one day. Judging from Zonker's account, and how things went at the first
get-together, there doesn't seem to be enough time for trading before we open
the doors. Given that, I don't really see how adding a formal meeting on top
of that would make it easier.

2) Do we want to carry on the agenda in email, either in the BA-LEGO
    mail list (so we have an archive in the LUGNET SF newsgroup)?
    Or would we rather have a seperate list for club things? Is
    anyone strongly for or against having the dicussions in email,
    instead of waiting for the get-togethers?

I'm against the e-mail thing, however it will help non-attending members to
know what is going on.

Email can be slow, but it's still good for broadcasting. How many of us are
online at home? Could we set up a time for members to chat over the net? Is
this even a good idea? I'm currently setup for ICQ, mIRC and AIM.

NEXT MEETING:

We've discussed having the next meeting in November, with a Train theme.

Yay!

We may have a good chance at getting the room in Fremont if we reserve
it soon (because the holidays are coming) but which weekend is best?
Is Saturday the best day? Does anyone else want to look for a room
in their city, and host a meeting? :-)

Saturday is still the best day for me, though I could do a Sunday. I am
continuing to browse for a room, but so far nothing is as good as Fukaya.
Currently, the San Leandro Community Library is closed due to *extensive*
remodeling, earthquake retrofitting I believe.

Do we want to see if we can set up in a mall somewhere for free? Is that even
a good idea? It might not be as secure as Fukaya. Are there any malls with
empty slots? We might have to bring chairs, tables, blah, blah... Just a
thought.

I like the train theme in November. Many people can shop off their
"Christmas trains." I hope to have a 4.5v train display ready for November.

I'll do what I can to have my train ready by then, possibly even my station
which needs to be rewired with new lights :-)

BTW, how many train stations are we going to have? :-)

Should we start designing a layout now? I got a minifig radio station with a
tower..

-Tom McD.