Re: Power control for trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:33:43 GMT

The X-10 Lamp module controllers can only handle resistive loads,
like lightbulbs.  Inductive loads (like motors) screw them up
royally. (The dimming is accomplished by switching off each
AC cycle early.  Inductors don't like to switch off in this manner,
causing voltage spikes which burn out the module.) The appliance
modules are simple relays, and work with anything, but do not dim.

The German train company Marklin used AC power on the train rails,
and had an X-10 interface.  You could hang signal lights off the rail
power and they would respond to the X-10 remote control.  The engines
were also addressable and you could set the speed by "dimming" them.
I have a friend who was really into this stuff; he had a pretty cool
set-up (no Legos, though).

-gyug

Tom McDonald wrote:

--- Zonker Harris wrote:

Don't know if this went out so I'm reposting here on Lugnet too!

  My initial experiments have met with limited success. But, since
there seems to have been some equipment damaged, I wanted to share
my findings as a caution to others who might try. :-(

  I used the RF "transceiver" module. This plugs into the wall, and
allows you to plug an AC load into a relay-switched socket. You can
use a portable RF device to turn the switched outlet power on and
off.

     This function works fine! No problem. I like it a lot. :-)

  I also tried to use a "lamp module", with a dimming function, to
try to control the actual track power using an RF remote with dimmer
feature buttons. While I had some limited success, I seem to have
burned out three seperate power packs ("wall warts") while testing.
As far as I know, the track power controllers were not damaged.

     I cannot recommend this solution yet. BEWARE!  :-(

Ouch! Yeah, I've heard that changing the high voltage end of the
transformer is not the way to go, especially where circuitry more
complex than a lightbulb is involved. If I knew you were doing this I
would have spoken up sooner. But I have to admit I only know bits and
pieces of electronics' stuff so I can't tell you much more.

FWIW, I would investigate installing a heavy duty pot that can handle
sizeable current, especially for motors, on the DC side of things
before power hits the controller. Essentially what you want is another
speed regulator in the circuit before the speed regulator that everyone
plays with. Maybe that's part of an answer.

I suspect the controllers were not damaged because they're equipped to
deal with surging currents (especially at startup) typical to the train
motors. But if memory serves they have a breaker anyway. :) I'll bet
that sucker pops when you try and run a dozen train motors on it! :D

  My testing included running the controllers with two motor units
on the track at once, and at one point I had added 4 wagons as a
weight load. This may be the straw that broke the camels back.

Possibly. But since this is typical rolling stock it's unacceptable.
Plus if trains are going to be played with you can't assume a
constant/predictable load.

  Strangely, I used these same power packs and controllers at the
recent LEGOfest, with two and three motor loads, and 5-7 wagons,
without any damage.

But you didn't have the dimmers in line with house current running to
them back then, did you?

  I need to go back of the power ratings for these power control
devices. All of the failures occured while attached to the lamp
module, after I had been using the dimmer to reduce the power to
the track power controllers. In one case, the motors were running
along slowly, and then started running faster and faster, then it
sudenly stopped. (On this last failure, the power pack seemed to
pass more power than usual to the motor before failing. :-(

Thermal runaway? Garsk. Was it stinky?

  I haven't been able to confirm that the motors are unharmed.
However, after each failure, I could not see any indication of
power on the track power controller LED. But, plugging another
power pack into the track power controller would light the LED.

I'll bet your motors are okay. While motors can sustain some damage
from stuff like this, it's usually the power supply chain that suffers
the most.

There was a nice guy here at work that I used to be able to ask about
things like this, but he very recently quit  :(  He built circuitry for
us here at the radio station, and has his own Lionel train setup at
home.

-Tom McD.