Re: Power control for trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:28:58 GMT

Z says:

My initial experiments have met with limited success. ...

<snip all that stuff about electronics that I don't understand...>  ;-)

I still think it would perhaps be a good idea to hide the power source for
the trains away from the public's hands. If they can't access the control
unit, they can't make the trains go too fast. We could put it against a
wall, out of reach.

But if you want the public to play with the trains, I like the idea of
limiting the speed like you are trying to do. I'm sure you'll figure it
out. Or, there is always the mechanical way to limit speed--(and for my
lack of electronic knowledge), maybe build a stop for the unit that
restricts the movement of the controller to a lesser-than-full-throttle
amount.

Either way, you certainly don't want to ruin any of your drive units, eh? ;-)

I picked up two small Rock Raiders the other day at TRU, just to see what
those new parts were. Has anybody seen them? They are like 8x8 plates
(maybe 8x12--I don't have them here with me to check...) with all corners
missing (about 2x2 from each corner) and a raised dish area in the middle
(up by one plate thickness.) I guess they have potential, but they are also
on the side of Town Jr. There is also a piece like a sled--totally Town Jr!
It's like two long skis with cross members built in already. Perhaps good
for a helicopter or Santa's Sleigh, but very Jr.

FYI IMHO

Fred