Subject:
Power control for trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 05:08:58 GMT

  My initial experiments have met with limited success. But, since
there seems to have been some equipment damaged, I wanted to share
my findings as a caution to others who might try. :-(

  I used the RF "transceiver" module. This plugs into the wall, and
allows you to plug an AC load into a relay-switched socket. You can
use a portable RF device to turn the switched outlet power on and off.

     This function works fine! No problem. I like it a lot. :-)

  I also tried to use a "lamp module", with a dimming function, to
try to control the actual track power using an RF remote with dimmer
feature buttons. While I had some limited success, I seem to have
burned out three seperate power packs ("wall warts") while testing.
As far as I know, the track power controllers were not damaged.

     I cannot recommend this solution yet. BEWARE!  :-(

  My testing included running the controllers with two motor units
on the track at once, and at one point I had added 4 wagons as a
weight load. This may be the straw that broke the camels back.

  Strangely, I used these same power packs and controllers at the
recent LEGOfest, with two and three motor loads, and 5-7 wagons,
without any damage.

  I need to go back of the power ratings for these power control
devices. All of the failures occured while attached to the lamp
module, after I had been using the dimmer to reduce the power to
the track power controllers. In one case, the motors were running
along slowly, and then started running faster and faster, then it
sudenly stopped. (On this last failure, the power pack seemed to
pass more power than usual to the motor before failing. :-(

  I haven't been able to confirm that the motors are unharmed.
However, after each failure, I could not see any indication of
power on the track power controller LED. But, plugging another
power pack into the track power controller would light the LED.

  So, I have a bit of engineering work ahead to provide a way to
restrict the speed of trains by remote control.

            -Z-

http://baylug.org/carlsbad99.html  Grand Opening Planning Page
http://baylug.org/zonker/  my main page
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZFSOne.html  the Firehouse
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZRondDom.html  the Round House
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZTrajnoj.html  my trains page
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZSignal.html  LED signal circuit
http://baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html  table plans
        David K. Z. Harris    frenezulo@esperanto.org
"It's a good start, but I'm always looking for a few more LEGOs"