Re: Why do we want to display?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:12:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, "David K. Z. Harris" <zonker@gnac.com> writes:

The second questions is;

   WHY do we want to display?

Wow, that's an open-ended question!

I'll throw in my 2cents worth.

The GMLTC does 4 to 6 shows a year.  We'd like to do more, but nearly every
show we do costs us money - we very seldom make enough to cover show
expenses.  Especially the 'out of town' shows - getting four (or more) hotel
rooms adds up in a hurry!  And let's not even talk about how much we spend on
bricks each year!

I look at it as 'practice' vs. 'playing'.  We display as a way to compare our
work to other train displays.  How about using tennis as an analogy:  You can
hit against a wall all you want, but how will you tell if you're any good
unless you play against a real live opponent?  We like to see how our layout
compares with the 'real' model train layouts.  At most shows, we're one of the
smaller layouts, but we usually draw some of the biggest crowds.  Maybe it's
that we're *different* from the rest of the layouts - bright colors, etc...
Maybe it's that people can identify with LEGO bricks since they probably have
some at their house.  Maybe it's the fact that we will talk their ears off if
they let us...  <grin>

We do shows to 'show off', to steal - I mean *ahem* 'aquire' ideas, to
socialize, to 'spread the LEGO gospel'.  If somehow in the process we help
LEGO sell some trains, that's great.  If we inspire some kids to dig out their
bricks and try to build stuff, that's even better!  We're not looking for new
members (at this time), we're not looking for sponsorship, although we'd
*certainly* be interested in being able to buy parts in bulk!  (Hello?  TLC?
Can we buy several "K-8s" of 2x4 bricks??)

Trains are great to display because they're moving.  Static displays are fine,
but you need some moving stuff help attract attention.  Little details like
the motorized windmill on our farm section probably get more comments than
some of the more difficult to build stuff.

(Okay, maybe that was more than 2cents worth...)

I tell people that the GMLTC is "just a bunch of 8 year olds in adult bodies" -
that pretty much wraps it up!

JohnG, GMLTC
  (lose the '.nospam' to reply, or reach me at  gmltc_j1 @ yahoo.com )