Re: Why do we want to display?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:19:23 GMT

Okay, Zonker. You asked for it(literally).

     What I did during summer vacation..err scratch that. Why I want to
display? My answer is this: Personal pride, education and Inspiration.
     Around 5 or so my parents bought me a set of used Legos from a neighbor
family that was moving. They were amazing. It was just an old Construction set
(white red and blues, small windows, some of the old style minifigs and a
tree) but I loved it. It never went away. I take every opportunity to surprise
people with Lego's. When my parents decided to renovate their house 10 years
ago, I brought out the Legos and we built the house complete. diorama in
school? Lego's. RPG gaming with friends? combat is always in Lego's(take the
heads off of the minifigs and they make cool undead).
     I cant see me going gaga for trains. They are neat but I prefer castles,
scenery, old building with hidden surprises. That works fine because all I
need to do is come up with a scene that works well with a train layout and
build tracks into it. I do better when I have a dead line and a reason.

     Zonker also asked what do we want to display. I think there have been
some excellent comments about burning out, and we all have busy lives. I like
the idea of two or three displays a year. At least one a train layout, to keep
us focused on the next time the NMRA comes around. I would also like to do one
other, something that allows us to display our other talents, whether they be
historical, vehicles or space oriented. Maybe it is too much for everyone to
really commit to. In that case I dont mind just showing off at meetings. But
its something that interests me.

PS..I want to do a module. Mike could you send the the specifications on the
height of the tbles you are using, the dimensions, and where the rails have to
line up? I am not going to have the legos to make one like yours, but I can
come up with something else.

Thanks..