Re: Booth monitors and crowd control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 01:59:17 GMT

Mark LaRue <Splotchthegreat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Fyy7q3.CDr@lugnet.com...

     I think alot of the inside room and table problems will be solved • with a
standardization of tables. If they are all the same general length, width • and
heigth not only can the planning be completely layout based, but set up • should
be faster. I know this is hard to do with very personalized setups that
require certain sized tables, but it is something to talk about.

     From pictures of the stock, it seemed that a larger yard, more town • and
maybe even some kind of display would not be a bad thing. So, yes, more
tables. The fold down type setup faster and easier, but the PNLTC legs • seemed
steadier and actually recieved many kudos from surrounding exhibitors. • Several
behind us took some time to examine them, for use on there own tables. • Also,
the fact that the PNLTC style could bolt together made them much more • secure
than the fold outs, so maybe the bolt together idea can be worked into • fold
down if we change to them.

The other tables will bolt together, but as I was going to rework them, I
didn't drill them yet.  I was also going to make an iron template that would
make certain all holes were in the same places on all tables so that small
variations didn't happen.

     Tables vs Modules..Being the guy that carried in the tables, I am • leaning
towards tables because of the weight bulkiness of modules. Though the idea • of
each person finishing there own table is a tempting idea. This seems to be • a
common theme among the clubs. Each table has a good symetry while the • entire
layout has a wide variety of sytles and flavors.

Well, my modules will be much heavier than Zonkers Roundhouse, but it should
be much more impressive looking than a tabletop design, as it has some
variance in the Z axis.  I would love to see several people making sections
of modules, as it would mean I could just focus on my metro area without
having to skimp on time so that I can get a mountain scene put together or a
Cargo dock or something else.  My town will max out at 14 modules.  That
will also be about as much as I think I can justify to my wife that I should
make before others start putting together their own section.

My main point here is that we probably need to try to get our tables
together before a show, and make sure we all see how they fit. The
NMRA show was the first time many of these tables and legs had been
mated together, and new holds had to be drilled, etc. The show floor
is a hard place to do integration. Having a test-run before the show
would have given us some time to rework the track plan, and maybe even
make another table or two. (We can now try to make some layout designs
with more room, so when we get asked to display, we can try to get a
slightly larger booth, having tried a few other designs.)

On this.. I agree wholeheartedly and without exception.

Well, who can make some modules (tabletop or Lego-Modular) and use them to
expand the scope of our layout?  As for me, I would like to finish the
section I am working on right now, but harvest season is rapidly approaching
and I still have to sort my Lego collection, as it got thrown into tubs to
clear off tables for the show.  I think I will be sorting until Christmas!
Then, it is back to building, so for Hayward, I would say that I can only
promise the tabletop stuff again.

Mike