 Local / United Kingdom / 8582
Re: Escape from Privit Drive (and other new HP sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 01:53:19 GMT

Mark Palmer <mark@jumare.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
Bought an "Escape from Privet Drive" this week, Camberley Argos £24.99,
and thought I'd share a few thoughts about it.

Got this, Dobby's release, Slytherin, and Quiddick Practice from Woolies
yesterday.

I bought the set mainly for the car, really just to see how it was put
together.

I got it form completeness, but was pleasantly surprised with the car.

  - it uses SNOT techniques at the front, but they could probably be
done with normal orientation

  - the blue colour is the blue that was available at the RLD events,
Maserk (sp) blue

NOT ;(

  - love the rear window, but no tail fins......

  - great chrome grilles, (this is something I did with paint for a MOC
some time ago)

Chromed, and gold grilles have been available for some time. Definately
since the time of Rock Raiders.

  - the car is 6 wide but doesn't have seats as such and the only way
for the minifigs to fit is to have one arm raised

How are they supposed to drive without holding the steering wheel? ;)

  - despite being 6 wide the tyres stick outside of the body, the car
really needs to be 7 or 8 wide.

<snip bit about trains, wine and worms>

Having said this, I'll make some more cars based on the Privet Drive
car, and probably buy more" Escape from Privet Drive" sets for parts.

I was as impressed with this car as I was with many other 6 wides on
brickshelf, and am tempted to go build.... better watch out. Remember what
happened with the Spiffcraft and then the Technic motorcycles...
Hopefully with the new Jack Stone roadplates, this Ford Anglia is the
direction of future Legoland town cars.

Mark

ps Set also includes some Tan windows, dark grey roof pieces, and some
brown parts where the brown is pretty awfull.

I like the brown, but was unimpressed with the minimalist roofing.
I also liked the Harry's red/blue checked shirt, just what I needed for a
minifig me to match the miniland me.

And now onto the other sets;

Dobby's release, this has to be my favourite moulded head so far, better
even than the Gringotts goblins, and far better than C3P0. Also the arched
windows should be welcomed by some people.

Slytherin, Light grey sword, snake shield with dark green/silver printing,
and the printed wall piece are very nice. Biggest complaint would be the
minifigs faces are printed both sides, and the mouths at the back are
visible below the hairline. Very odd!

Quiddich Practice, red and green capes, red, green, tan, and light grey 2x2
convex corner slopes (1 of each so might need bulk buying), madame hooch's
head, 2x2 printed bricks with Griffindor and Slytherin logos, and the Golden
Snitch*. I like this set - well except for the goal hoops, but 130 odd parts
for a tenner, so who's complaining?

I just need to save up some cash now for the larger sets ;(

(Duckie) Dave Till
*-a 1x1 round plate, in GOLD. Now I have a legitimate marker for LLW, so if
the rightful owner of the current marker wants it back, let me know.