 Local / United Kingdom / 8579
8578  |  8580
Subject:
Escape from Privit Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:08:28 GMT

Bought an "Escape from Privet Drive" this week, Camberley Argos £24.99,
and thought I'd share a few thoughts about it.

I bought the set mainly for the car, really just to see how it was put
together.

  - it uses SNOT techniques at the front, but they could probably be
done with normal orientation

  - the blue colour is the blue that was available at the RLD events,
Maserk (sp) blue

  - love the rear window, but no tail fins......

  - great chrome grilles, (this is something I did with paint for a MOC
some time ago)

  - the car is 6 wide but doesn't have seats as such and the only way
for the minifigs to fit is to have one arm raised

  - despite being 6 wide the tyres stick outside of the body, the car
really needs to be 7 or 8 wide.

It raises a question about building to a realistic scale or to Lego
minifig world scale. What I mean is that for realistic scale you need to
fit 2 minifigs into the car, but because of the scale of minifigs it
becomes squat and big. For Lego minifig world, cars are 1 minifig wide.
The Privet Drive car looks out of scale compared with other Lego models
and maybe more importantly Lego trains, based on this car trains would
need to be 10 wide! (I don't think I've described this very well, it's
been a long week and I've had few glasses of wine, but maybe it will
provoke discussion). This opens up a whole can of worms relating to what
we are representing with Lego models, real life or a Lego world........

Having said this, I'll make some more cars based on the Privet Drive
car, and probably buy more" Escape from Privet Drive" sets for parts.

Mark

ps Set also includes some Tan windows, dark grey roof pieces, and some
brown parts where the brown is pretty awfull.