 Local / United Kingdom / 847
Re: lugnet.loc.uk Restructuring Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:24:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Simon & Richard, this looks really nice.  Thanks for all the effort you put
in and research time you devoted.

Thanks.

I have a bunch of questions and a counter-proposal.

OK.

The 9 groups listed below are areas of specifically England, right?  Could
you elaborate on what you mean by "on the same Government hierarchy" and
"useless duplication"?  I don't quite understand why they're on the same
hierarchical level as .uk.wl, .uk.sc, and .uk.ni.  Do you mean that they're
less geographical and more administrative, and overlap multiple physical
areas of the Kingdom?

Well what I meant was that if the Government went ahead with it's
proposals for the devolution of England then the name England would
become irrelevant.  Let me explain, it would be similar to the state
system in the US, these regions and Wales, NI, Scotland would all be
equal.  However I agree that the .en should be added in order to make it
straight-forward.

lugnet.loc.uk.sw  South West
Are the 9 suffixes above official or made-up for this?

These suffixes are made up, I wasn't too sure what to put for East,
etc.  You may have more logical ideas.

Complete list of all islands:
lugnet.loc.uk.ai  Anguilla
lugnet.loc.uk.ac  Ascension Island
AI and AC must be official historical abbreviations?  I'd expect AI to mean
Ascension Island, not Anguilla.  :)

I got those from the same site I mentioned in the GB / UK discussion.

lugnet.loc.uk.bm  Bermuda
lugnet.loc.uk.vg  British Virgin Islands

Bermuda and the Virgin Islands are already lugnet.loc.bm & lugnet.loc.vi, as
they have their own top-level Internet domains of .bm and .vi, respectively.

That was my point, these have the same level of control as the Isle of
Man, etc. does so surely they should be in the same hiearchy.  BTW, .vg
is the British Virgin Islands while .vi is the US Virgin Islands.

In this proposal the total number of groups has been lowered but the local
groups now cover all UK related places.
All right, first let's coalesce all of these into one list, first sorted by
newsgroup name:
   lugnet.loc.uk
   lugnet.loc.uk.ac  Ascension Island
   lugnet.loc.uk.ai  Anguilla
   lugnet.loc.uk.ci  Channel Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.ea  Eastern
   lugnet.loc.uk.em  East Midlands
   lugnet.loc.uk.fk  Falkland Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.gi  Gibraltar
   lugnet.loc.uk.im  Isle of Man
   lugnet.loc.uk.ky  Cayman Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.lo  London
   lugnet.loc.uk.ms  Montserrat
   lugnet.loc.uk.ne  North East
   lugnet.loc.uk.ni  Northern Ireland
   lugnet.loc.uk.nw  North West
   lugnet.loc.uk.pn  Pitcairn Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.sc  Scotland
   lugnet.loc.uk.se  South East
   lugnet.loc.uk.sw  South West
   lugnet.loc.uk.tc  Turks & Caicos Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.wl  Wales
   lugnet.loc.uk.wm  West Midlands
   lugnet.loc.uk.yk  Yorkshire & the Humber

The way North East and North West are separated in that view concerns me, as
well as (more importantly) the confusion of interspersing sub-regions of
England with sub-regions of the larger Kingdom.

After reading other posts I agree that the .en should be substituted -
it doesn't make that much difference.

Now here's how that would appear on http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/ ...

   Local / United Kingdom /
   Anguilla          Falkland Islands  North West        Turks & Caicos Is.
   Ascension Island  Gibraltar         Northern Ireland  Wales
   Cayman Islands    Isle of Man       Pitcairn Island   West Midlands
   Channel Islands   London            Scotland          Yorkshire & Humber
   Eastern           Montserrat        South East
   East Midlands     North East        South West

Is it 100% clear to someone coming into that page out of the blue that, for
example, "North East" means Northeast England rather than Northeast UK?  I'm
obviously not intimately familiar with how people think of UK regions on a
daily basis, so it's tough to judge whether the list above is single-layer
or mixed-layer, especially in the minds of viewers.

See above.

Is the following clearer or less clear?

   Local / United Kingdom /
   Local / United Kingdom / England /
[End of questions segment]

I do think that the islands should be separated in some way as Wales,
etc. are buried in the list.

[Now for the counter-proposal]
How about this (all 4 parts)?--
1) Scrap everything currently beneath:
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.*  (54 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.ni.*  (2 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.sc.*  (12 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.wl.*  (8 groups)

OK.

2) And keep:
      lugnet.loc.uk
      lugnet.loc.uk.ci   Channel Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en   England
      lugnet.loc.uk.im   Isle of Man
      lugnet.loc.uk.ni   Northern Ireland
      lugnet.loc.uk.sc   Scotland
      lugnet.loc.uk.wl   Wales

OK.

3) And reserve for future expansion possibilities (these would go in
   all together as a collection of subgroups someday):
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.ea  Eastern
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.em  East Midlands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.lo  London
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.ne  North East
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.nw  North West
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.se  South East
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.sw  South West
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.wm  West Midlands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.yk  Yorkshire & the Humber

Yes, I agree with the expansion idea.

   Alternatively, if it made more sense if/when the time comes, the original
   54 sub-groups of .loc.uk.en could be restored in place of creating these
   9 new regional groups.

I would never rule it out but there will never be that many of us from
the UK as has been shown from the way that LEGO UK has less sets than
the rest of Europe.  You would have to reconsider some of the 54
sub-groups as counties, etc. have changed.

4) And reserve for spur-of-the-moment creation as appropriate (when needed),
   so long as the areas (a) don't already have a top-level Internet domain
   (like Bermuda & Virgin Islands or Hong Kong) and (b) aren't more logical
   as a sub-category of some other .loc group:

Well all of these islands have their own top-level domain, that's where
I got the .xx codes from.  We don't have Hong Kong anymore, we gave it
back after 99 years as per our agreement with China.

      lugnet.loc.uk.ai(ag?)  Anguilla
      lugnet.loc.uk.ac(ai?)  Ascension Island
      lugnet.loc.uk.ky(cy?)  Cayman Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.fk(fi?)  Falkland Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.gi(gb?)  Gibraltar
      lugnet.loc.uk.ms       Montserrat
      lugnet.loc.uk.pn(pi?)  Pitcairn Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.tc       Turks & Caicos Islands

These were the offical codes.

That would leave the UK with 7 groups.  And a plan for expansion.

Yes that is a good plan.

It would mean the destruction of some existing content, but the number of
articles is small (around 10) since almost everything was posted to either
.loc.uk, .loc.uk.en, or .loc.uk.sc.
--Todd

Wouldn't it still be available via the search?  I know
lugnet.off-topic.qotd isn't searchable.  This of course would be via the
web interface.

Whenever you do decide on expansion through your 4-step program base it
on the actual amount of regular UK posters rather than all the other
people who post here.

Huw Millington wrote...
lugnet.loc.uk.sc.hi         Highlands
lugnet.loc.uk.sc.bo        Borders

I disagree with breaking up Scotland and Wales because of their size and
population, Scotland has the same population as Birmingham so in order
to compensate lugnet.loc.uk.wm would be split and so we would be back to
square-one.  We only have very few people from Scotland now and the best
that can do is double (1).

lugnet.loc.uk.<xx>.<country> (for the 'empire')

This may be a better way of organising it but all the islands have their
own top-level domain so either all the islands go here or at
lugnet.loc.*

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170

(1)  Based on that 30% of the UK use the Internet compared to the US's
60+%.