 Local / United Kingdom / 840
Re: lugnet.loc.uk Restructuring Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 01:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, carbon60@bigfoot.com (Carbon 60) writes:
[...]
If all of us in lugnet.loc.uk agree with this proposal then it stands a good
chance of being accepted.  I know many of you want all of the smaller groups
scrapped, Todd doesn't want this so this is a good compromise and will cover
all future expansion - there will never be that many of us.
[...]

Simon & Richard, this looks really nice.  Thanks for all the effort you put
in and research time you devoted.

I have a bunch of questions and a counter-proposal.

lugnet.loc.uk
lugnet.loc.uk.wl  Wales
lugnet.loc.uk.sc  Scotland
lugnet.loc.uk.ni  Northern Ireland

English regions, a discussion on the future of lugnet.loc.uk.en needs to be
considered as these regions would be on the same Goverment hiearchy as
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and so there would be useless duplication.
The idea of an English Parliament has been ruled out.

The 9 groups listed below are areas of specifically England, right?  Could
you elaborate on what you mean by "on the same Government hierarchy" and
"useless duplication"?  I don't quite understand why they're on the same
hierarchical level as .uk.wl, .uk.sc, and .uk.ni.  Do you mean that they're
less geographical and more administrative, and overlap multiple physical
areas of the Kingdom?

lugnet.loc.uk.ne  North East
lugnet.loc.uk.nw  North West
lugnet.loc.uk.yk  Yorkshire and the Humber
lugnet.loc.uk.se  South East
lugnet.loc.uk.ea  Eastern
lugnet.loc.uk.lo  London
lugnet.loc.uk.em  East Midlands
lugnet.loc.uk.wm  West Midlands
lugnet.loc.uk.sw  South West

Are the 9 suffixes above official or made-up for this?

[...]
In order to cover the entire British 'Empire' I propose the possibility of
these groups - some of which were defined as their own country when they are
still considered part of the UK.

Complete list of all islands:
lugnet.loc.uk.ai  Anguilla
lugnet.loc.uk.ac  Ascension Island

AI and AC must be official historical abbreviations?  I'd expect AI to mean
Ascension Island, not Anguilla.  :)

lugnet.loc.uk.bm  Bermuda
lugnet.loc.uk.vg  British Virgin Islands

Bermuda and the Virgin Islands are already lugnet.loc.bm & lugnet.loc.vi, as
they have their own top-level Internet domains of .bm and .vi, respectively.

lugnet.loc.uk.ky  Cayman Islands
lugnet.loc.uk.ci  Channel Islands
lugnet.loc.uk.fk  Falkland Islands
lugnet.loc.uk.gi  Gibraltar
lugnet.loc.uk.im  Isle of Man
lugnet.loc.uk.ms  Montserrat
lugnet.loc.uk.pn  Pitcairn Islands
lugnet.loc.uk.tc  Turks and Caicos Islands

In this proposal the total number of groups has been lowered but the local
groups now cover all UK related places.

All right, first let's coalesce all of these into one list, first sorted by
newsgroup name:

   lugnet.loc.uk
   lugnet.loc.uk.ac  Ascension Island
   lugnet.loc.uk.ai  Anguilla
   lugnet.loc.uk.ci  Channel Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.ea  Eastern
   lugnet.loc.uk.em  East Midlands
   lugnet.loc.uk.fk  Falkland Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.gi  Gibraltar
   lugnet.loc.uk.im  Isle of Man
   lugnet.loc.uk.ky  Cayman Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.lo  London
   lugnet.loc.uk.ms  Montserrat
   lugnet.loc.uk.ne  North East
   lugnet.loc.uk.ni  Northern Ireland
   lugnet.loc.uk.nw  North West
   lugnet.loc.uk.pn  Pitcairn Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.sc  Scotland
   lugnet.loc.uk.se  South East
   lugnet.loc.uk.sw  South West
   lugnet.loc.uk.tc  Turks & Caicos Islands
   lugnet.loc.uk.wl  Wales
   lugnet.loc.uk.wm  West Midlands
   lugnet.loc.uk.yk  Yorkshire & the Humber

The way North East and North West are separated in that view concerns me, as
well as (more importantly) the confusion of interspersing sub-regions of
England with sub-regions of the larger Kingdom.

Now here's how that would appear on http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/ ...

   Local / United Kingdom /
   Anguilla          Falkland Islands  North West        Turks & Caicos Is.
   Ascension Island  Gibraltar         Northern Ireland  Wales
   Cayman Islands    Isle of Man       Pitcairn Island   West Midlands
   Channel Islands   London            Scotland          Yorkshire & Humber
   Eastern           Montserrat        South East
   East Midlands     North East        South West

Is it 100% clear to someone coming into that page out of the blue that, for
example, "North East" means Northeast England rather than Northeast UK?  I'm
obviously not intimately familiar with how people think of UK regions on a
daily basis, so it's tough to judge whether the list above is single-layer
or mixed-layer, especially in the minds of viewers.

Is the following clearer or less clear?

   Local / United Kingdom /
   Anguilla          England           Montserrat        Turks & Caicos Is.
   Ascension Island  Falkland Islands  Northern Ireland  Wales
   Cayman Islands    Gibraltar         Pitcairn Islands
   Channel Islands   Isle of Man       Scotland

   Local / United Kingdom / England /
   Eastern           North East        South West
   East Midlands     North West        West Midlands
   London            South East        Yorkshire & Humber

[End of questions segment]

[Now for the counter-proposal]

How about this (all 4 parts)?--

1) Scrap everything currently beneath:

      lugnet.loc.uk.en.*  (54 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.ni.*  (2 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.sc.*  (12 groups)
      lugnet.loc.uk.wl.*  (8 groups)

2) And keep:

      lugnet.loc.uk
      lugnet.loc.uk.ci   Channel Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en   England
      lugnet.loc.uk.im   Isle of Man
      lugnet.loc.uk.ni   Northern Ireland
      lugnet.loc.uk.sc   Scotland
      lugnet.loc.uk.wl   Wales

3) And reserve for future expansion possibilities (these would go in
   all together as a collection of subgroups someday):

      lugnet.loc.uk.en.ea  Eastern
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.em  East Midlands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.lo  London
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.ne  North East
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.nw  North West
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.se  South East
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.sw  South West
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.wm  West Midlands
      lugnet.loc.uk.en.yk  Yorkshire & the Humber

   Alternatively, if it made more sense if/when the time comes, the original
   54 sub-groups of .loc.uk.en could be restored in place of creating these
   9 new regional groups.

4) And reserve for spur-of-the-moment creation as appropriate (when needed),
   so long as the areas (a) don't already have a top-level Internet domain
   (like Bermuda & Virgin Islands or Hong Kong) and (b) aren't more logical
   as a sub-category of some other .loc group:

      lugnet.loc.uk.ai(ag?)  Anguilla
      lugnet.loc.uk.ac(ai?)  Ascension Island
      lugnet.loc.uk.ky(cy?)  Cayman Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.fk(fi?)  Falkland Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.gi(gb?)  Gibraltar
      lugnet.loc.uk.ms       Montserrat
      lugnet.loc.uk.pn(pi?)  Pitcairn Islands
      lugnet.loc.uk.tc       Turks & Caicos Islands

That would leave the UK with 7 groups.  And a plan for expansion.

It would mean the destruction of some existing content, but the number of
articles is small (around 10) since almost everything was posted to either
.loc.uk, .loc.uk.en, or .loc.uk.sc.

--Todd