 Local / United Kingdom / 844
Re: lugnet.loc.uk Restructuring Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:26:41 GMT

Is it 100% clear to someone coming into that page out of the blue that, • for
example, "North East" means Northeast England rather than Northeast UK? • I'm
obviously not intimately familiar with how people think of UK regions on a
daily basis, so it's tough to judge whether the list above is single-layer
or mixed-layer, especially in the minds of viewers.

I believe it is. When someone says they are from the 'North East' they know
you mean Newcastle, Sunderland etc. and not North East Scotland. However,
that could obviously be different if they said it in Edinburgh.

That said, shouldn't the .en. bit still stand?

lugnet.loc.uk.en.ne

On the proposal as a whole, I agree with the English groups and their
defined regions, but why should Scotland and Wales not be further
sub-divided?

For example

lugnet.loc.uk.sc.hi         Highlands
lugnet.loc.uk.sc.bo        Borders

and so on (help from a Scot requred here, please!)

I disagree strongly with the proposal to add the 'empire' countries in the
same hierachy. Either keep them as they are or use some other sub-division:
lugnet.loc.uk.<xx>.whatever. so they stand apart.

Thus we have,

lugnet.loc.uk
lugnet.loc.uk.en
lugnet.loc.uk.en. ... (english subdivisions)
lugnet.loc.uk.sc
lugnet.loc.uk.sc. ... (scottish subdivisions)

(same for N.I. and Wales)

lugnet.loc.uk.<xx>.<country> (for the 'emipre')

Huw