 Local / United Kingdom / 7406
Re: Dodgy ebay sellers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:04:38 GMT

"Mark Morgan" <coachie@excite.com> wrote in message
news:GMx2FJ.HFE@lugnet.com...
Hi all,
Please excuse this negative posting, but I've just about had enough of • certain
auctions.  I mean, take this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1663865916

What a rip off....I wouldn't even pay 30p for that junk!!!!  Look at the
build up of dust on the model, "very good condition" my arse!!!  What is
with this guy, is he blind or something?!

I agree with you Mark, it's sellers like this that jump on the bandwagon
when they see the potential to profit out of others that does the damage to
the genuine honest Lego sellers/collectors.  I bet this seller isn't even
into Lego, he just bought stuff from yard sales to flogged at a profit.
Thankfully eBay has a feedback system and this seller's feedback is pretty
bad (26 neutrals and 11 negatives).  I always read people's feedback before
buying from them, this guy I would avoid like the plague!!!

Which is why I always follow a personal set of rules when selling/auctioning
Lego....I hope you all find them enlightening:

1)  All bricks bought second hand are washed clean first.

2)  Any bricks with teeth marks are thrown away (cosmetic scratching from
where bricks have rubbed against each other is OK, unless it's
excessive....particulary with clear bricks).

3)  Any bricks or parts that are broken are binned too.

4)  Any bricks that are not damaged as above but have "yellowed" are given
away to childrens' charities (the exception is if the yellowing is barely
noticable and the brick is uncommon or rare, like castle walls).

5)  Acurate item descriptions including the list of any defects/missing
parts.  And a good, clear photo (if auctioning).

6)  Honest pricing.  I usually list items with starting price that is 5-10%
of what I think it's worth.

7)  Good packaging!!!  It makes a difference....I buy special white boxes
and foam packaging specifically for my Lego auctions on eBay.

That's my 2 cents

Stoof