 Local / United Kingdom / 653
Re: Payment to the UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 11:17:17 GMT

I have found that my banks in the UK (Midland HSBC and Halifax) are happy • to
accept _most_ non-Sterling cheques. They tend to use a sliding scale of
charges from nothing(!) for sub 20GBP value cheques at the Halifax up to
about 8GBP (~13USD) for 150GBP cheques.

Any of the "Big Four" banks (as they were once known) will accept personal
cheques, bank cheques, bank drafts, money orders, travellers cheques and
probably most other forms of payment you care to mention. They are true
clearing banks, and therefore have branches or offices in other countries,
so they're happy to 'negotiate' most currencies.

I have been handling US$ checks for a while, both through LEGO transactions
and my shareware efforts.

Barclays accept personal checks drawn on US banks no problem and charge a
sliding scale 4-9GBP depending on the *total* value of the cheques presented
as opposed to per cheque. It therefore pays to batch them up.

Huw