 Local / United Kingdom / 645
Re: Payment to the UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 20:32:20 GMT

I have found that my banks in the UK (Midland HSBC and Halifax) are happy to
accept _most_ non-Sterling cheques. They tend to use a sliding scale of
charges from nothing(!) for sub 20GBP value cheques at the Halifax up to
about 8GBP (~13USD) for 150GBP cheques.

Any of the "Big Four" banks (as they were once known) will accept personal
cheques, bank cheques, bank drafts, money orders, travellers cheques and
probably most other forms of payment you care to mention. They are true
clearing banks, and therefore have branches or offices in other countries,
so they're happy to 'negotiate' most currencies.

Converted Societies (i.e. Building Societies that now have a banking status)
can generally only accept personal cheques in foreign currencies where the
cheque has full foreign bank name and address details printed on it!

The Big Four (e.g. Midland HSBC) tend to 'pay the value' of negotiated
cheques immediately whereas converted societies (e.g. Halifax) need at least
4 days (albeit at a lower charge, but worse exchange rate). Both routes
state that should the cheque not actually clear, the paid monies will be
taken back. In reality, neither method guarantees to clear a cheque until
the 28 days is up!

Another option for small amounts is to send cash. Someone obviously still
needs to convert it to another currency at some point, but I for one hold US
Dollars anyway knowing that I'll use them again at some point. Of course, no
postal service will insure cash, but as I still haven't lost anything yet
(it's OK, I'm working on a wooden bench!), I'm happy to take a chance...

Then again... you could link up with a trusted trading partner if you're
likely to have further dealings with people in your chosen countries.

Well, that's my experience anyway. Hope it helps 8-)

Jon.

Jon D Hayward
Chatham, Kent, Great Britain

mailto:Jon-D-Hayward@Chatham-Kent.Prestel.co.uk
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/chatham-kent/

Rob Doucette wrote in message ...

Can someone help me out here?  There has to be a cheaper way to send money
order payments in international currencies than the US$8 #/?!!#@$%$%$*** 50
that the United States Post Office requires (for payment to the UK as well
as someother countries).  My bank (First Union, not a small one!!) requires
a $20 fee.  There has got to be an easier way, without costing folks on • both
sides of the transaction a small fortune.  It would be cheaper for the
postage to send rolls of pennies...

-Rob Doucette.