 Local / United Kingdom / 6464
Re: Boot sale Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 19:38:42 GMT

Jason Briscoe wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, Alan Kershaw writes:

I've noted a steady rise in the prices asked for Lego at car boot sales.

I would'nt disagree but there is another slant!

A couple of years ago a stacker box full with assorted instructions would be
around £5, Now people ask extortionate amounts for plastic bags of dirty, broken and Megabloked lego.

True, but from a southern perspective these sellers have always been asking
this much, although the most I have paid at a car boot sale was £25 and that
included best part of a metroliner as well as other boxed sets.

It appears to me that either there are less sellers now than a few years
ago? and or more people are buying the cheap stuff before you or I get to
it! I beleive the latter myself, as getting to the sales early 5.30am this
week its worthwhile. As I say I picked up a small tub which looked like
rubbish but it actually contained the best part if not all a 918! Seller
asks £5 I offer £3 and we settle at £4, now I'm happy to simply dump the
toot and have the 918 for £4 as to me thats a good deal?

However its easy to be duped. I have also tried a tip suggested to me by
Scott, which works well, if a seller is asking a high price or there seems
to be a lot of cruddy bricks/megablobs, them simply offer to buy a handful
of pieces for a £1. I have had some good buys this way!!!

One solution to the problem is (as we are all computer literate) to print up
a lego equivalent of Glass's Guide to Car Prices. About 8 A5 sheets with a
glossy cover is enough, with tempting things like MISB 928's at £200 at the
front and 1p per kilo for the kind of rubbish they are trying to flog at the
back.
Condition guide should be :
M     Mint
P     Played With
H     Heavy Use
BV    Baby Vomit (and other unmentionable encrustations)

I like this idea a lot! However who wouod be willing to put i) effort in in
first place ii) keep it up to date? I suppose a keen person could sell the
book? buy are there enough UKAFOLBSB (last bit is Boot sale buyers in case
your having difficulties!) to make such a venture viable?

Different pages can be shown to the putative seller depending on the items
for sale - finally resorting to the back cover which points out that all
Lego is merely rented out from the Lego company, not purchased and that
possesion of the items more than 5 years after they were obtained is a crime
punishable by death, and that as an authorised collector you can take the
stuff off their hands.

I've almost given up on boot sales, probably because I don't get there
early enough and miss the bargains.  The only one I had was when I did
the 'vulture' [1] as a latecomer arrived.  Got a Tesco bag with an 853
in for £2.

I've had a lean time selling lego at them as well.  Small SW sets go
fairly well for the boys, not surprising to say that I have a hard time
selling 7121s at £2.50 when 7128s literally disappear at twice that
price.

My only advice is to do a boot sale with a Lego bought and sold sign.  I
find people tell you about what's on other stalls, so they do the leg
work for you.  This way I got an antique pine drawer filled with Lego
for £12.  Full of early town classic, space and Technic, it has already
netted me over £150 and added to my collection.  Someone even bought the
drawer from me at the next sale!

I mostly concentrate on small ads now, as I'm sure the rest of us do.
Unfortunately, you have to be quick or another fellow loc.uker is in
there.  Maybe we should mark out our territories and come to an amicable
agreement.  (The reason I'm saying this is that I'm moving house on
Friday and will be overlapping Pete Callaway's hunting ground!)

Another reason is that I may host a microfest/house warming at the new
house in Surbiton to help me sort out my Lego. (and get rid of a bit
more)  I was subjected to my first car inspection the other day after
popping out 'to the shops'.  Any Takers?

Mark

[1] Vulture - lowest form of human life that descend as you unload the
contents of your car.
              They don't give you time to think and you end up selling
all your best stuff for               50p.