 Local / United Kingdom / 6461
Re: Boot sale Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 18:22:00 GMT

In article <GD0rMp.JsE@lugnet.com>,
alan@kershawcomputing.freeserve.co.uk (Alan Kershaw) wrote:

Article: 6459 of lugnet.loc.uk
Newsgroups: lugnet.loc.uk
From: "Alan Kershaw" • <alan@kershawcomputing.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Boot sale Prices
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 13:47:13 GMT

Dear all

I've noted a steady rise in the prices asked for Lego at • car boot
sales. A
couple of years ago a stacker box full with assorted • instructions would
be
around £5, certainly in Northamptonshire where i 'booted' • regularly. Now
people ask extortionate amounts for plastic bags of • dirty, broken and
Megabloked lego. Last year a family wanted £40 for what • amounted to a
large
shoebox with heavily sun damaged and broken bits - "It • cost more than
double
that price when it was new !"
One solution to the problem is (as we are all computer • literate) to
print up
a lego equivalent of Glass's Guide to Car Prices. About 8 • A5 sheets
with a
glossy cover is enough, with tempting things like MISB • 928's at £200 at
the
front and 1p per kilo for the kind of rubbish they are • trying to flog
at the
back.
Condition guide should be :
M     Mint
P     Played With
H     Heavy Use
BV    Baby Vomit (and other unmentionable encrustations)

Different pages can be shown to the putative seller • depending on the
items
for sale - finally resorting to the back cover which • points out that all
Lego is merely rented out from the Lego company, not • purchased and that
possesion of the items more than 5 years after they were • obtained is a
crime
punishable by death, and that as an authorised collector • you can take
the
stuff off their hands.

Cheers

Alan Kershaw

Alan

They probably know your ugly mug by now !
I have taken to wearing a disguise or feigning
ignorance which is easy for me !
Yesterday I picked up.....
6539 Victory Cup Racers
6594 Gas Transit
6561 hot Rod Club
6344 Jet Speed Justice
6348 surveillance Squad
6596 Wave Master
6663 Wave Rebel
6342 Beach Rescue Chopper
6336 Launch Response Unit
6536 Aero Hawk
6668 Recycle Truck
6038 Wolfpack Renegades
6649 Street Sweeper
....all boxed built and with plans for £15 !
Its the traders that are picking up on price and they are
the ones to avoid.

Michael Pratt