 Local / United Kingdom / 6459
6458  |  6460
Subject:
Boot sale Prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 13:47:13 GMT

Dear all

I've noted a steady rise in the prices asked for Lego at car boot sales. A
couple of years ago a stacker box full with assorted instructions would be
around £5, certainly in Northamptonshire where i 'booted' regularly. Now
people ask extortionate amounts for plastic bags of dirty, broken and
Megabloked lego. Last year a family wanted £40 for what amounted to a large
shoebox with heavily sun damaged and broken bits - "It cost more than double
that price when it was new !"
One solution to the problem is (as we are all computer literate) to print up
a lego equivalent of Glass's Guide to Car Prices. About 8 A5 sheets with a
glossy cover is enough, with tempting things like MISB 928's at £200 at the
front and 1p per kilo for the kind of rubbish they are trying to flog at the
back.
Condition guide should be :
M     Mint
P     Played With
H     Heavy Use
BV    Baby Vomit (and other unmentionable encrustations)

Different pages can be shown to the putative seller depending on the items
for sale - finally resorting to the back cover which points out that all
Lego is merely rented out from the Lego company, not purchased and that
possesion of the items more than 5 years after they were obtained is a crime
punishable by death, and that as an authorised collector you can take the
stuff off their hands.

Cheers

Alan Kershaw