 Local / United Kingdom / 5717
Re: Lego for sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:09:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
OK, let's talk about subgroups of .market.* -- I gather you want a
specific area that you can call UK-specific?  I wonder how many other
countries would want this?  (AU and probably CA come to mind.)

I am not bothered what hierarchy this is in, as long as it exists.

A simple market.uk would be fine by me and folks can then just use usual
conventions of FA:, FS: etc in their headers.
In fact, given the volume of traffic, then this would probably be better
than having to visit 3 different groups.

What do other UK'ers feel?

regards
lawrence

Hmm - placing it is a tricky issue.  I don't think it needs separate
auction/shopping/buy-sell-trade divisions, but if you put it as a
sub-division of the existing auction/shopping/buy-sell-trade groups then
that's what it would be - split.  The messages would also show up in those
parent groups, where they could be confusing - forcing people to use their
national sub-groups for reasons of sanity when they would rather not.

So, national specific trading (of a general nature) could be a sub-group
simply off 'market'.  (You could put it as a sub-group of 'loc.uk', but then
all the messages would also appear in 'loc.uk' too).

Wherever it goes, I'd like to suggest that a hyperlink goes in from loc.uk
to the new uk trade area, and back again.  This for newbies and lurkers.
Most regulars know what each other has and has not - it's the hundreds (?)
of other folk that peruse this file that we (? certainly myself) hope to
attract with wants/sales.

Just my thoughts.  I had seen this discussion before, when it fizzled out.

Jason.