 Local / United Kingdom / 4566
Re: Early 70's Finds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:59:44 GMT

Someone once described this part to me as "an axle block with a flagpole
on". I've never seen any other than white or black, white being much more
common.

There are specific reasons for the hole and the lumps. The hole is to allow
a 1x2 brick (with the LEGO logo on) to fit on the top of the cab, to provide
input to the steering. This is a concept that was previously used on a
series of plastic ~1:40 scale vehicles that LEGO made in the '50s. For
those, there was a small triangular part on the roof you would use both to
motivate the truck and steer it. I believe there was even a 'remote
steering' attachment you could get that involved a long spring (cf Schuco),
but I have never actually seen one of those in real life.

The 2 small lumps are the steering self-centering mechanism and sit either
side of a fragile tang on the special T-shaped 'steering baseplate' once
correctly assembled. You should also keep an eye open for the 4x6 and 5x6
baseplates with hole in because you will need those to build the cab to the
exact right height.

Jono is v keen on this stuff.

HTH,

Phil.