 Local / United Kingdom / 377
Re: UK Field Trip from US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:42:02 GMT

In article <F8C7GB.GnJ@lugnet.com>, rob.doucette@worldnet.att.net had their 2d
worth...

My wife will be visiting Basildon, Essex, on business the week of 15-Mar-99.
I have requested that she purchase Lego sets while she is there,
specifically any and all Soccer sets, #5134 {Shooting Cannons w/Wheels},
#5905 {Hidden Treasure}, #5906 {Ruler of the Jungle} and technic sets such
as #8480 {Space Shuttle} if they can be located.  [She also has specific
instructions to harass the British Airways personnel until they surrender a
number of promotional in-flight Lego sets ;-) ]

I don't know basildon I'm afraid but there are still a few space shuttles
around here and there for 50-60 GBP, I don' know about the rest - I'm a
Technut. :)

Is there anyone familiar with the area that can recommend a nearby (<15km)
toy shop she can visit?  Is there a mail order service similar to the US S@H
that could deliver to her local office in Basildon?  Is there anyway around
the VST for non-EU citizens?

When you say VST I'm guessing you mean purchase tax or VAT, Yes, there is a way
around VAT for non-EU residents, ask at the store when you buy, and they should
have a claim form. If not, I think you can get them from customs, You may have
to show a non-EU passport. YOU MUST  GET A VAT RECEIPT FROM THE STORE! You have
to claim the VAT when you leave the country (Similar to the Canadian system)

I can't remember the exact details of the way the VAT scheme works now, i'ts a
long time since I was in the retail business and the've changed the rules a few
times since. but you can get it back - Worthwhile too at 17.5%!

Regards, Dave Ryder.

--
         \|||/
         /   \