 Local / United Kingdom / 3716
3715  |  3717
Subject:
Something old, something new FOTW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:52:58 GMT

With nothing better to do with my time, today I went on a half day shopping
trip covering much of North Devon.

First stop, Barnstaple. Toymaster had their usual limited range of new,
overpriced sets, the other toyshop opposite had the same stock as always.

Next stop, Okehampton where I picked up 2 crater plates and a CRAPP for 5
quid from the towns best LEGO stockist, a 2nd hand shop!

Then down to Tavistock where there is a little family owned toyshop, usually
with random stock scattered everywhere. Today, sitting proudly on display in
the window were the 2 newest Starwars sets, the AAT and MTT. only 19, and 47
quid each. Too steep for me - Tesco's will probably get them soon for around
the 15 and 40 quid mark.
Inside, their stash of 5 year old kits seems to have taken a bit of a dent,
with mostly ~20quid technic sets left, but also a few more expensive system
sets - divers, wild west, BURPy castles, and an 8880 and 8480 at 90 quid
each (ouch).
I made my selection of smaller trade fodder for the international J-box -
Microtechnic, 1752's, 6028's, 6516's while the owner rummaged about in the
stockroom. Just as I was ready to leave, he returned with a large grubby
piece of cardboard containing 759 - a wooden storage cabinet from 1984! Now
for the best bit. He tells me he was going to burn it, but if its any use to
me, I can have it - FREE! Well it isn't any use to me as I don't have any of
the plastic trays that go with it, but it might be of use to someone else.
The box is very poor, and it's missing one of the drawer runners, but
otherwise (and as far as I can tell) it is complete and has never been
assembled. If anyone would like me to pass it on to them (it weighs a few kg
so postage would be out of the question), make me an offer and I'll see
about handing it over at a fest, otherwise it goes on the fire!

After 15 year old freebies from a toyshop, I didn't notice much during my
following stops at Holsworthy and Torrington, only that they had nothing of
interest to me.

(Duckie) Dave Till