 Local / United Kingdom / 2588
Re: Changed Days
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:39:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:
Yesterday, I had quite a haul of Lego Technic. Amongst the pile (15-20
sets) , there were two sets which I hardly even paid attention to. I
year or so ago I would have been very happy to even get a glimpse of one
of them, now I found myself wondering if it was worth the hassle
actually buying them. The sets were 8880 and the 8480. In the last 6
months, both of these sets have been sold by UK retailers for less than
UKP50, whilst a year ago an opened 8880 would go for over $200 easy. So,
after I tried to explain my purchase to my wife and stopped my youngest
daughter from sitting on the boxes, I was left wondering if any of my
other prized sets would suffer similar falls over the next year? The
only thing which justifies me paying $200 for a metroliner, is the
knowledge that I can always sell it for about the same when we get bored
with it. Notwithstanding this, I'd still be happy if DYA found a pile of
them, and did the good thing... if I got one

A worried Scott A

Is the current availability of 'old' sets at retailers a one off as lego
clears its warehouses that it is reorganising? As this process now finished,
or is there some way to go?

e.g. I was in Bournemouth over the week end and noticed in a TJMAX there about
a dozen 5571 model team truck for £40. Yet I see them on ebay right now at
over $200

Once these 'old' sets are sold you are not going to see 8880 and 5571 again in
the retail chain, and if they are truely popular then wont prices rise again
at auction? The 5571 seems to be maintaing its price. Probably not available
in the US at retailers.
And it seems very unlikely that we are going to see and metroliners or club
cars in the retail chain, unless there is an old warehouse in some remote part
of the world that they havent got round to cleaning up yet!

Personally, I only ever buy my lego at the discounted phase of its life cycle.
New lego is much too expensive in my opinion.

Perhaps an exception was my wife buying a 8448 (I had not bought it myself),
but even then she got it for £63 at argos in a sale pre xmas.
Then in the january sales my local toy shop had a 'genuine' 50% sale and had
one for £37. (I did buy a couple of star wars models at 50% off) And I didnt
buy it, cause I have one and because I fully expect 8448's to be in the
entertainer for £35 within the next 12-18 months when they become 'obscelete'.
Thats the time to buy them.

I wont buy any of the new 2000 sets for the same reason. I know I will pick
them up cheap in 2001. Just a matter of being patient.

Whilst I love my lego, I dont find it a 'must have the newest stuff TODAY'
type thing. (or perhaps that just a factor of my age!!!)

One cloud on the horizon is that if lego manage their inventory better
(matching supply and demand) as a result of recent 'reorganisations', then
there may not be so much surpus stock in future.

regards
lawrence