 Local / United Kingdom / 2589
Re: Changed Days
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:04:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:
Yesterday, I had quite a haul of Lego Technic. Amongst the pile (15-20
sets) , there were two sets which I hardly even paid attention to. I
year or so ago I would have been very happy to even get a glimpse of one
of them, now I found myself wondering if it was worth the hassle
actually buying them. The sets were 8880 and the 8480. In the last 6
months, both of these sets have been sold by UK retailers for less than
UKP50, whilst a year ago an opened 8880 would go for over $200 easy. So,
after I tried to explain my purchase to my wife and stopped my youngest
daughter from sitting on the boxes, I was left wondering if any of my
other prized sets would suffer similar falls over the next year? The
only thing which justifies me paying $200 for a metroliner, is the
knowledge that I can always sell it for about the same when we get bored
with it. Notwithstanding this, I'd still be happy if DYA found a pile of
them, and did the good thing... if I got one

A worried Scott A

Do you not like the sets because they have gone down in value?
IMHO, this whole internet buying and selling business has good and bad parts
to it.  The good is that you can get get virtually any discontinued set that
was made.  The bad is that you can sell any set that you have.  Before the
days of the internet, when I bought a set, it was a keeper and I would have
never thought of selling any sets.  Now sadly sometimes when I buy a set
instead of enjoying it I wander how much it would sell for and I'm sure I'm
not alone here. :(
It sounds rather stupid.  I know I don't have_to_sell any sets but the market
is out there and sometimes when I look at one of my sets I wander how much it
would sell for instead of admiring it or playing with it.

A "Becoming mentally ill" Dan J