 Local / United Kingdom / 2409
2408  |  2410
Subject:
Pit Droid comments - was Re: Star Wars 2000 sets spotted in UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:53:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

John Smith <jsmith@it.newsint.co.uk> wrote in message
Popped into Forbidden Planet London on the way into work this morning, and • very
nearly managed to miss the SW 2000 sets they had on display.

[stuff deleted]

Is that the one on New Oxford St?

Yep, a few dozen yards from Tottenham Court Road tube station.  After seeing
the sets in FP, I considered wandering over to Holborn Beatties to see if they
had anything new in, but decided against it, as I was already running fairly
late.

I built the Pit Droid (8000) at home late last night.  It comes up to shoulder
height on the Battle Droid (8001).  There are no sub-variants of the Pit Droid
in the same way as there were for the Battle Droid, but then I guess there
weren't any in the film either.  I didn't build the speeder bike variant model,
but from looking at the diagrams and photos, I'm not sure as I'll ever bother,
as it doesn't look that brilliant.

If you already have 8001, then there's not much in 8000 that will come as a
surprise; the 'pop-out' mechanism works in along the same principles.  Folding
it up seemed a bit more awkward than 8001, in the way you have to click the
torso under the head, although this could well be down building it too tight or
loose in some places, or just simply me needing to get more familiar with its
workings.  The only other action is the gripping hands (via more elastic bands)
to hold the tools - nothing particularly exciting.

The only new pieces as far as I could see/recall were the round 'eyepiece'
(which has a strange printed effect that looks like an error, but as it's on
the photos on the box, would seem to be deliberate, I think the idea was to
imply light reflecting off the lens), and the upper arm piece with ball joints
on either end, although these could be from Slizers/ThrowBots for all I know.
In fact, ignoring colour,  it wouldn't surprise me if these are the only pieces
that weren't in 8001; all the other pieces seemed to be fairly standard modern
Technic ones, or ones we'd already seen in 8001.

All in all, 8000 is fairly decent in itself, but for those of us in Europe
who've been lucky enough to have had our 8001s for six weeks or so, it's
probably a case of 'seen it all before'.

Of course, I'm sure the 8002 destroyer droid will beat both of them :-)