 Local / United Kingdom / 2381
Re: 2000 sets yet??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
The first reported sighting in the UK last year was on 21/12/98, so we may
see some this weekend.

I know it hardly needs saying, but keep an eye out!

Huw

I emailed the Entertainer asking when they expected them, who gave the
followingfairly uncomittal response

"I am sorry Lego have not given any release dates for new 2000 Star Wars
Lego as yet, the toy releases in the US are usually 3 to 12 months AHEAD
of the UK .

Lego do not usually launch new product until late Jan early Feb, sign up
to the e-mail 'keep me informed about' service on our website and we will
keep you updated with all the latest news as soon as we know it !

I have seen the new sets and they look great ! There is also a Millennium
Falcon and some Technic collectors models of an X-Wing and a Tie
Interceptor that look very cool.... as soon as we know confirmed dates....
we will let you know."

I did wonder if there was more of an effort in the UK to keep things till
after xmas. The retailers shelves are pretty full right now and I am sure they
would not welcome lego releasing new stuff when the old stuff hasnt shifted
yet.

Attitudes seem different in the US, I have noticed over many years of visiting
(I lived there for a while too), that they dont have the same xmas shopping
cycle as we do. For example, many stores start their main sales after
thanksgiving, enabling most people to buy some of their xmas present cheap.
This also gets rid of the old stock to make way for the new.

Perhaps the increasing competitivness in the UK high street and move towards
sales pre-xmas might change things.

But I for one, would be surprised to see the new stuff before xmas now, with
only one week to go.

regards
lawrence