 Local / United Kingdom / 2064
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:35:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, James Powell writes:

It's the policy of many retail industries that till shortages come out of
pocket for the people on shift.  That is why many retail industry workers
have a policy that till overages(?) go into a pot that is used to cover
shortages.

That's a illegal activity here in Canada.

Tell Dairy Queen.

The store owner has to eat it, not the till person!.  Esp. a problem with
restaraunts, where people run out on the bill, recently a store was charged
and fined quite heavily for billing the waiter for a meal that the people
skipped out on.  It is viewed as being a cost of business, and a supervisory
role problem, not the person on the till.  They can fine (take disiplinary
action) them for repeated instances, but for single instances, no.

Customers skipping out on tabs is a different issue than employees miscounting
change.  I think the legal issues are different.  In the first case, it's the
customer that causes the shortage, in the second it's the employee.

Relevant to point out that my information is old, though - I've been out of
retail for many moons now.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/