 Local / United Kingdom / 1910
1909  |  1911
Subject:
Unified UK Lego Web Page/Community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:01:50 GMT

+ Why?

The loc.uk newsgroup is great, and searching it can reveal a whole host of
useful information. But we are over 1900 messages now in just over a year.. and
as I keep posting the signal to noise ratio will decline, and it'll get harder
to find the things you want :)

+ What?

I think a main use for a UK Lego page would be reference, perhaps similar to
<http://www.lugnet.com/?p=spotlight>, but maybe even categorised further
(Shopping - good deals etc, Events + LEGOFests - past and present, Personal
- users of loc.uk; location and home-pages).

The point wouldn't be to duplicate the loc.uk newsgroup, just filter out the
information with a degree of longevity!

+ Who?

It would require someone, or preferably some people to maintain it and keep it
up to date. Once the bulk of the work was done, the rest would be mostly a
matter of maintenance: adding a good shop to a list, adding a request to be put
on the people list etc.

Obviously, the amount of free time that people have available changes from time
to time - so it would be better if it didn't go through just one person, as
they may become a bottleneck.

+ Where?

Regarding the last two paragraphs of <http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/?n=182>, it
seems that Lugnet might be a willing host. Although we are more of a community
than an organisation, I think we could have similar reasons for wanting a
separate web-page to centralise our important information.

Because Lugnet has a system of membership, with inherent security, that would
be *very* handy, as we could use that to allow people to add their *own*
personal information, submit a shopping link or whatever.

I have checked the Lugnet plan, the most relevant page
<http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/4.html> doesn't seem to cover what I'm
thinking of, although the virtual communities idea sounds as cool as ever!

+ When?

Well, if a few more people like the idea, then we can enquire politely about
using Lugnet as the host, or find space elsewhere. I have 14.9Mb doing nothing
and I know other people probably have room too!

+ Waffle?

Yes, sorry, I should be studying!

Richard